How do you drive an auto 'properly'

Well I seem to remember Top Gear BC (Before Clarkson) was a bit more technically focused ie it did at least attempt to poke its nose under the bonnet occasionally. But it is true that all of those presenters seemed to disappear down a big hole. Caravan conkers does, as you point out, rather raise general contentment per se. A friend told me that the soppy cow on 5th Rate snapped an Aston drive belt, twice! All to deliver some smoke to the bloke with the brownie camera.

Oversteer is all a bit academic if you live in the London (as I do) area and I would have thought particularly in a Kia 4 x 4. I'll keep an eye out for the JCB though!

Sponsored Links
TG's never been the same since Vicki Butler-Henderson left, although I do enjoy drooling over her on 5th Gear. What I wouldn't do to get a grip of that and give her a 'Warrington Handshake'......

;)

chainsaw_masochist said:
the soppy cow on 5th Rate snapped an Aston drive belt, twice!

Aww, bless 'er!

I don't really remember Top Gear BC. I have vague memories of some guy with a beard, and a blonde woman. Oh, and a jolly-looking fellow who covered the motor-racing articles (mainly on rally). And that northern guy who did all the motorbikes.

Why did they introduce that "We don't lift the bonnets and show you the engine" rule? True petrolheads love looking at engines! There is a difference between an engine bay that looks like someone has just tipped a wheelbarrow full of engine parts in there, and one that is a sculpture of automotive art.

Plus there is what I like to call the 'Jordan principle'... A big engine looks much like a small engine and does the same job, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting to gawp at pictures of it with the bonnet off. ;)

chambsesf said:
TG's never been the same since Vicki Butler-Henderson left, although I do enjoy drooling over her on 5th Gear. What I wouldn't do to get a grip of that and give her a 'Warrington Handshake'......

;)

What? You mean you would like to throttle her?...Probably a shared objective with those god folk at AML? :D

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I don't really remember Top Gear BC. I have vague memories of some guy with a beard, and a blonde woman. Oh, and a jolly-looking fellow who covered the motor-racing articles (mainly on rally). And that northern guy who did all the motorbikes.

One of those women became a bhuddist so I heard. But the rest seemed to go down the toilet. :rolleyes:

AdamW said:
Why did they introduce that "We don't lift the bonnets and show you the engine" rule? True petrolheads love looking at engines! There is a difference between an engine bay that looks like someone has just tipped a wheelbarrow full of engine parts in there, and one that is a sculpture of automotive art.

Very good question and I would like to know the answer! I reckon JC does have some editorial influence over this though, as he seems quite proud of the fact that he couldn't give a toss about the mechanics simply preffering to spout the performance statistics. This may be JC candour but it seems to leave at least some of us a tad dissatisfied. :(

AdamW said:
Plus there is what I like to call the 'Jordan principle'... A big engine looks much like a small engine and does the same job, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting to gawp at pictures of it with the bonnet off. ;)

:LOL: :LOL: Love that, the JP - wish I could increase the size of my engine just by sloshing a load of silicon in it! :LOL: :LOL:

chainsaw_masochist said:
he seems quite proud of the fact that he couldn't give a toss about the mechanics

You know what I think, he doesn't like talking about the mechanicals cos he doesn't understand them. He strikes me as someone who probably did subjects such as Art, Drama, Home Economics at school. All worthwhile subjects of course, but they will hardly set you up with the sort of mind that loves cogs and whirry things. :rolleyes:

Whereas 90% of my friends are scientists and engineers. When someone gets a new car they love to stick their head under the bonnet even if it is something "ordinary". I am sure that automotive engineers would be happy to know that people are admiring their work!

I have also noticed that engineer girls do drive better than normal girls. ;)

By the way, sexiest engine I have ever seen is that in the Mclaren F1. The rocker covers are painted to match the body, the engine bay is pristeen and well-designed, and lined with gold. Oh yes.

mcars_s702_eng.jpg

Just look at it! By the way, those two inlets at the top are connected to the roof-mounted scoop.

And in it's natural habitat:

mclarenf1lm95_engine.jpg

Snug. :cool:

chambsesf

Just curious you sound like one of us northerners, would it be Gorse Covert area by any chance?

AdamW said:
You know what I think, he doesn't like talking about the mechanicals cos he doesn't understand them. He strikes me as someone who probably did subjects such as Art, Drama, Home Economics at school. All worthwhile subjects of course, but they will hardly set you up with the sort of mind that loves cogs and whirry things. :rolleyes:

Actually Adam, I think he was expelled from (public) school and does rather play up his lack of education. It's odd though, 'cos his dissmissiveness of things technical is in striking contrast to his understanding of the techy side of Brunel's work (remember the TV prog a while back?)

AdamW said:
Whereas 90% of my friends are scientists and engineers. When someone gets a new car they love to stick their head under the bonnet even if it is something "ordinary". I am sure that automotive engineers would be happy to know that people are admiring their work!

Well in Britain today, that is an extremely rare and rarefied group of people. Those sort of folk are usually motivated more by dedication than pots of gold.

AdamW said:
I have also noticed that engineer girls do drive better than normal girls. ;)

I can believe it. A medic friend (woman) told me that women generally do have diminished spatial awareness and (or because of) have more difficulties with reversing etc. :rolleyes:

Those pics are superb. Those exhaust manifolds look like they are having their own orgy! :) Can't see a brake servo unit though? Perhaps that's because it didn't have one. ;)

Was out driving with a friend in Essex a couple of weeks ago, and he pointed out the spot where some Aussie chap and his two passengers were in a fatal accident in an F1. About five years ago this was.

david and julie said:
chambsesf

Just curious you sound like one of us northerners, would it be Gorse Covert area by any chance?

You are correct in your assumption of me being "one of us Northerners", but I am the other side of town, in Great Sankey area. I do know Gorse Covert well having grown up in Culcheth and spending many happy hours with the kids at Risley Moss.

Just out of interest, what made you pick Gorse Covert??

chainsaw_masochist said:
he pointed out the spot where some Aussie chap and his two passengers were in a fatal accident in an F1. About five years ago this was.

Yes, those cars don't take kindly to being wrapped around lamp-posts. Very safe to be in during a crash, after all it is built like a racing car, but that doesn't make them infallible. I am aware of the crash you are talking about, there were suspicions of foul play as the driver was not much liked and the car was seen to explode before it hit anything. :eek:

So you can't really blame the car for that!

I picked there because I can remember someone mentioning or signing as M6/M62 so had a stab at the Gorse area. I used to go there regularly to the AA depot near BNFL.

Great Sankey's a lot nicer anyway.

BTW, I am from Sale.

david and julie said:
I used to go there regularly to the AA depot near BNFL.

Until the three-headed radioactive mutants started pulling the windscreen wipers off your car whenever you went there ;)

david and julie said:
I picked there because I can remember someone mentioning or signing as M6/M62 so had a stab at the Gorse area. I used to go there regularly to the AA depot near BNFL.

Great Sankey's a lot nicer anyway.

BTW, I am from Sale.

There used to be a good scrap yard/vehicle dismantlers in Great Sankey, all gone now with, oddly enough, houses built on it.

Don't know Sale that well, just the odd drive through to get somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
Back