How do you find a hidden loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know my house has a loft but the previous tenants closed the entry and I know can't see where it would be.

Is there a method for finding the loft hatch or old entry? I really need the extra space!

Its a small 2 bed Victorian terraced cottage and everyone has a loft/attic space however, they differ in size and shape. Is there a method for ceiling density or something.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know my house has a loft but the previous tenants closed the entry and I know can't see where it would be.

Is there a method for finding the loft hatch or old entry? I really need the extra space!

Its a small 2 bed Victorian terraced cottage and everyone has a loft/attic space however, they differ in size and shape. Is there a method for ceiling density or something.

Thanks

Why don't you decide where you would like the loft access to be, and make one there? The old hatch will probably be tiny anyway.

Plenty of people here can advise you how to do it. Or get a man in.

Cheers
Richard

Pick a spot and make a hole. They're usually above the landing but it could be anywhere. You could try a stud finder to see if you can find a square..ish shape on the ceiling somewhere. But in the end you are going to make a hole. I'd do it in the best spot for a loft hatch and just make a new one if I were you.

Go shopping for a few lengths of 4x2 and some 85mm woodscrews.

Sponsored Links
just make sure the neighbors don't have a flying freehold :D ;)

also worth checking in airing cupboard and any other cupboard for trapdoors at the top
could also be hidden by a bit off furniture fitted or not going up to the ceiling

i have just noticed your use off the word tenants ??
i assume you are the owner and you have checked the deeds as tenants must not structurally alter a building without permission

and a flying freehold is where some one else owns the space above another property that would normally be considered part off that property

Go up on the roof, take some tiles off, cut the felt and look or climb through

i have just noticed your use off the word tenants ??
i assume you are the owner and you have checked the deeds as tenants must not structurally alter a building without permission

and a flying freehold is where some one else owns the space above another property that would normally be considered part off that property

Ask the landlord if he knows where it is?

Do let us know, because I'm dying to know where it is now, as well.

Cheers
Richard

Its a small 2 bed Victorian terraced cottage and everyone has a loft/attic

Thanks
if tenants had closed an access - you`d see where they bodged a cover over :LOL: Viccy terrace - probably doesn`t have an access at all :idea: whole rows were built to let so there was no need for fire walls/ party walls carried to the roof then ,or tenants to get in the roof then - or now - specially as roaming about can cause the 100 year old ceilings to collapse :mrgreen:

We had a c1907 terraced house , loft hatch was on the landing. Might be gaps in the neighbours adjoining walls in the attic.
JonB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back