How do you measure a radiator ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you measure a radiator, ready to change it to a new double one ?

Last year I decided to change a towel rail so measured centre of pipe to centre of pipe thinking this was correct. The plumber had actually said it's a 600mm rail, but as he hadn't actually measured it, I assumed he was wrong. He returned about a week later to carry out several jobs, but when he came to fitting the towel rail there was a problem. Luckily I managed to take it back and buy the 600mm one, which I should have bought in the first place.

Now we want to replace an existing single radiator with a double and it'll be fitted by the same plumber so I don't want to make the same mistake again. He thought I was a chump then, so not sure I want to be a bigger chump now.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
With a tape measure :p

Sizes are typically height first - top or bottom end to end - not the centre

Towel rads are alway outside edge to outside edge, pipe centres are a supplementary measurement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back