How Do You Price Your Work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question for the self employed sparks.

I have, on occasion, the need the need to sub contract electrical work (Kitchen installs, extension builds etc). For extensions I used the same guy for a long time and his prices were always a set amount (probably the cost to the first socket or light switch) then X amount for socket or light thereafter.
Was generally pretty easy to guess what the cost would be without needing to chase him for a quote in advance every time.

I've tried out some different sparks of late and they seem to base their costs on time and materials e.g. day rate plus materials. Might just be me but this way always seems more expensive.

Had one guy out for a quote on a straight forward extension wire yesterday. He told me it would take him one day for 1st fix then one day to fit out and test. As he's non VAT registered it would give him a day rate of £400.

Sponsored Links
Plus time to survey the job, cost to supply materials, then there's time to certify & notify the works, plus a bit for the unknown.
Also, maybe he thinks the job may be a PITA for some reason - tricky parking, difficult journey to site. Maybe he is just too busy with other stuff and this is a bit of a nuisance (its that time of the year).

Why didn't you just stick with the first guy?

(probably obvious answer: He's 'not available' ... but it's the first question that comes to mind)

I have found that prices can vary - even in the same area. I think it boils down to the rules of the self employment game: choose the customers that pay the most and on time.

Sponsored Links
When I'm busy my prices go up. If I don't like the look of the job or the customer my prices go up.
I price on hours / days I expect it to take me plus materials.

Sparks and their jokes :eek:

To be honest I only used the last guy as the most recent example. He's obviously free to charge whatever he likes for his services, if he gets the work then good luck to him.

Was just curious how most of you price your work.

The guy I was using for long enough moved away to semi retire a couple of years ago. He's proving difficult to replace.

The guy I was using for long enough moved away to semi retire a couple of years ago. He's proving difficult to replace.

Difficult to replace in terms of price alone, or are there other factors such as availability and flexibility?

Difficult to replace in terms of price alone, or are there other factors such as availability and flexibility?

A combination of those but mainly reliability. Turning up when they said they would regularly thus allowing the projects to flow better and being able to leave someone to carry out their work (usually at my customers house) and liase with my customer if needs be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back