How essential to lay MOT right level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve compacted my MOT for patio base. There are a couple of areas that are 10-15mm lower than some other areas, is this ok to just use more mortar when laying the slabs (Indian stone)?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Provided the overall level is about right, then some localised dips are fine

It’s hard to compact MOT and get it perfect

Ah that’s ok then. I’ve just run a string line from the top of the edge to top of the other edges (finished level of patio) and most areas are approx 75mm (which is correct height I need) and some areas are 80-90mm so I expect I’ll be ok.

I do actually have some MOT left over, is it worth putting a bit more down or is it neither here or there just using more mortar to bring to required height?

The more level the MOT, the easier it will be to get the mortar bed right.

And now you have asked, you should do it now otherwise you will kick yourself later.

Sponsored Links
The more level the MOT, the easier it will be to get the mortar bed right.
Whilst there is a lot of truth in that, the main obstacle or hindrance is the calibration of the slabs.

MOT accuracy will deal with the depth or consistency of the depth of mortar bed. However, slabbing becomes infinitely more difficult when the slabs themselves vary massively in thickness.

Even calibrated slabs - píss easy to lay.
Varying thickness slabs - forever lifting and scraping or adding.

Píss easy slabs.....

Whilst there is a lot of truth in that, the main obstacle or hindrance is the calibration of the slabs.

MOT accuracy will deal with the depth or consistency of the depth of mortar bed. However, slabbing becomes infinitely more difficult when the slabs themselves vary massively in thickness.

Even calibrated slabs - píss easy to lay.
Varying thickness slabs - forever lifting and scraping or adding.

Píss easy slabs.....

So are we saying that you believe I don’t need to adjust the MOT, and just level slabs with mortar bed and mallet the Indian stone level?

Your beds a bit on the large side, over 60mm in places, you will need about 1.3 tonne of sand at that depth and 9/10 cement, you could top up the MOT a little to save on mixing especially if you've got leftover.

Your beds a bit on the large side, over 60mm in places, you will need about 1.3 tonne of sand at that depth and 9/10 cement, you could top up the MOT a little to save on mixing especially if you've got leftover.

I’ve left approx 75mm depth in most areas for:

50mm mortar bed
22mm paving

This will bring me to the correct level (with top of concrete edge) once installed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back