How is my ceiling constructed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how my ceiling is constructed? eg what materials were used?

Picture is from the other side of ceiling as seen in the loft

The material is very solid.. And it seems to have metal mesh embedded in it

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_200003255_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240310_200003255_HDR~2.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
looks like chicken wire -I guess as an alternative to lathes

I guess it must pre date plasterboard -which has been around for about 100 years

Sponsored Links
Very colourful what ever it is.
It's the camera. It's not as colourful in real life :mrgreen:

The metal lath is in fact a roll of expanded steel mesh - aka ex-met . Rolled out and nailed to the joists.

Wikipedia
Thanks

This method of ceiling construction is incredible. Far superior, stronger and durable than standard PB.

Assuming the metal is galvanised, this is better than wooden laths (not susceptible to damp, rot, insect attack etc)

The ceiling is at least 30mm thick

Only downside i see is that if the ceiling was to collapse, the weight could seriously hurt someone beneath.

It’d normally be done as a repair to wooden laths, I don’t think anyone would ever mesh the entire ceiling and plaster onto it

It’d normally be done as a repair to wooden laths, I don’t think anyone would ever mesh the entire ceiling and plaster onto it
@^woody^ what say you?

Before modern plasterboard, were homes constructed entirely of expanded steel mesh?

Looking at my ceiling, I do not see any signs of wooden laths

It was used quite a lot in the USA for ceilings before plasterboard. The galvanizing can break down over time leaving the laths open to rust and failure.
It's a lot quicker to skim plasterboard than fill EML or timber laths.

It was quite common from around 1920's upto around 1950's but I've mostly seen it in non-residential buildings. Plasterboard was available at this time so you tend to see that in smaller residential properties. I don't know why, maybe the lathe and plaster was cheaper or maybe the plasterers were more familiar with the lathe and plaster technique coming from the old timber lathes?
It has similar problems to timber lathe and plaster in that the plaster de-bonds from the lathe and starts to crack although to a far lesser extent and the expanded metal lathe or fixings can corrode allowing the ceiling to sag.

I think it was a post-war thing where there was a lot of steel and production capacity. Whole ceilings were done by this method, not just repairs.

It's a lot harder to take down.
Yes, it's a real beast. Super solid and thick.

It was quite common from around 1920's upto around 1950's but I've mostly seen it in non-residential buildings.

It was used quite a lot in the USA for ceilings before plasterboard. The galvanizing can break down over time leaving the laths open to rust and failure.
It's a lot quicker to skim plasterboard than fill EML or timber laths.

I think it was a post-war thing where there was a lot of steel and production capacity. Whole ceilings were done by this method, not just repairs.

This is great info to know. Thanks for the knowledge guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back