How long can a batten and felted roof be left before tiling ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long is it 'ok' to leave a roof just felted but without it being tiled ?

My roofer says he can put on the breathable membrane and batten but will not have time to tile and put in velux until after Christmas ... at least 2 months after.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

honestly..... if you have never done any roofing before I think re-roofing your home would be quite a task no matter how good you are at picking things up.

1st of all you WILL need help. There will be a lot of waste for a start, as it's a rosemary tiled roof they will be gauges at every 100mm (give or take), so a lot of battens to remove which takes time.

Once the roof is stripped (just take on 1 side at a time), you need to de-nail and clear all the waste. I always make sure I have some big tarpaulins to hand just in case a downpour turns up which is quite regular in the UK as we all know too well and the tarps can get your roof back water tight(ish) in no time.

When starting the new roof get everything you need to hand on the scaffold, roll your first length of the felt half into the gutter, or if using felt support trays (eave protectors) just leave you're felt sitting above. Felt from right to left, nailing in the top right corner and rolling half way. Pull tight, straighten it up and then double nail top and bottom and then repeat. (If it's windy don't go as far) But I'm guessing you'll probably know this as your thinking of DIY'ing your roof but remember your first gauge is dependent on the tile or slate you are going to use. Just remember to have at least 50mm overhang at the front of the fascia board into the gutter.

Then work out your even equal gauge from your first batten. Once you have your gauge you can hit one miss one to get it water tight quicker, then fill them in on the way back down. Once the felt is on your water tight :) and inside your house shouldn't get any more than a few drops, and you can tile/slate at your leisure.

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast, leave as much of the original lead at the abutments which helps keep water tight, work speedy, get another 2 pairs of hands on the job and you should have your old roof off and water tight within a day.

Good luck,

Hi

Your reply looks like a post on "my builder"

I'm not roofing it myself.

The tiler is very busy and can only felt and batten at the time the trusses are in place i.e. Oct/Nov and then tile after Christmas

Your post says after felting, you can "tile at leisure"

Is it OK to leave it for two months ? I've had advice that this is too long.

Can he not cover it all in tarpaulin/ visqueen to temporarily protect the felt?.

Sponsored Links
Can he not cover it all in tarpaulin/ visqueen to temporarily protect the felt?.

Are you saying in your opinion that roofing membrane definately needs the protection of a tarp if it is to be left open to the elements for 2 months ?

Some membranes are better than others. find the make he wants to use and check on the tech spec it will have a guide to uv resistance.
Also they are water resistant not necessarily water proof. once saturated you will get drips.
as has been said a sheet over the top is a safe bet.

I did my garage roof and hail stones went through the felt the same day :(

Get someone else to tile it.

Are you saying in your opinion that roofing membrane definately needs the protection of a tarp if it is to be left open to the elements for 2 months ?

I'm no expert but if it was my roof I would have a secondary covering over it. If your roofer can guarantee (sp) it will be ok and cover the cost if not then fair enough.

Membrane instructions will state how long it can be left exposed. It's often months.

But at that time of year, your problem will be wind driven rain getting under the laps which should be laid with a sag.

Have him cover with some cheap tarpaulin over the membrane and held down with laths to stop it flapping in the wind.

Hi,

honestly..... if you have never done any roofing before I think re-roofing your home would be quite a task no matter how good you are at picking things up.

1st of all you WILL need help. There will be a lot of waste for a start, as it's a rosemary tiled roof they will be gauges at every 100mm (give or take), so a lot of battens to remove which takes time.

Once the roof is stripped (just take on 1 side at a time), you need to de-nail and clear all the waste. I always make sure I have some big tarpaulins to hand just in case a downpour turns up which is quite regular in the UK as we all know too well and the tarps can get your roof back water tight(ish) in no time.

When starting the new roof get everything you need to hand on the scaffold, roll your first length of the felt half into the gutter, or if using felt support trays (eave protectors) just leave you're felt sitting above. Felt from right to left, nailing in the top right corner and rolling half way. Pull tight, straighten it up and then double nail top and bottom and then repeat. (If it's windy don't go as far) But I'm guessing you'll probably know this as your thinking of DIY'ing your roof but remember your first gauge is dependent on the tile or slate you are going to use. Just remember to have at least 50mm overhang at the front of the fascia board into the gutter.

Then work out your even equal gauge from your first batten. Once you have your gauge you can hit one miss one to get it water tight quicker, then fill them in on the way back down. Once the felt is on your water tight :) and inside your house shouldn't get any more than a few drops, and you can tile/slate at your leisure.

Just keep an eye on the weather forecast, leave as much of the original lead at the abutments which helps keep water tight, work speedy, get another 2 pairs of hands on the job and you should have your old roof off and water tight within a day.

Good luck,

What in gods name are you doing quoting a 2014 post from my builder (yes I'm sad, I googled it) and replying in here to a completely different question? Weird.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I will feel a lot happier if we can get a tiler to do the lot at once; but this thread has given me food for thought if we can't.

The guy is obviously busy. this can indicate he is good at his job... food for thought too

The guy is obviously busy. this can indicate he is good at his job... food for thought too

I don't know of any roofers who are not busy. And TBH, most of them are crap, and charge premium rates for their ineptitude too. They have so much work that they can just cream off the high earning jobs. Not just roofers either, most trades nowadays unfortunately.

I would not use their workload as a guide to anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back