How long does it actually take to sharpen a chain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've blunted my first chain on my stihl ms180... Think I caught something because it very suddenly just stopped cutting.

I have the basic Stihl file but have never done this before and wondered how long it takes? My time is in short supply and some people recommended viewing chains as disposable for the price... Really?!

I'm tempted by the PowerSharp bar/tool, it seems perfect for my situation but are they any good?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It takes me around 10 mins or so to sharpen a chain - I need to get the bar in a vice though as I'm not smart enough to sharpen it over my knee :) I replace the files pretty often and don't use a guide. I keep the chain tight on the bar and charge 8 quid!
Dealers sharpen chains by machine.
I keep a spare chain ready if I'm in a hurry or away from home.
The Oregon Powersharp does have its place I guess and I have used them but the stone tends to wear very quickly.....Its probably me pressing the thing too heavily though!
The Powersharp can't be sharpened by any other means as far as I know.
I'm sticking with a genuine Stihl or Oregon chain.
John :)

I just buy a pack of 10 round files -from ebay I think and a handle.

As Burnerman says, its easy to do by hand, I do it on the saw as it is. I find its easiest to have a glove on one hand to hold the chain and move it round as the teeth are ground.

Just copy the existing angle and count the number of strokes to cut each one the same.

Im pretty sure a tree surgeon would be sharpening very often -daily possibly, a chain doesnt stay sharp for long and a sharp chain is less work for the motor

Sponsored Links
Looks handy, I'd forgotten about those.

More generally, how would I know what chain to buy... Having a spare seems a good idea but all I know is the bar length, and you have options about thickness, tooth count, etc to consider. I'm a total noob at all this, can anyone recommend a good guide/site?
The chain details are usually stamped into the guide bar, plenty of ,how to’s on youtube

Why not head for your local garden machinery dealer.....they can supply chain off the roll and rivet it together for you.
Theyll also give you a choice of chains too, cheap to expensive, roughing cut to cross cut.
Im perfectly happy with Oregon chain, and use their bars and oil as well.

Unless your 180 has been modified it should have a 14” bar and require a 3/8” 050 (1.3mm) chain with 50 links.
Check out GHS Ltd for twin packs!

Unless your 180 has been modified it should have a 14” bar and require a 3/8” 050 (1.3mm) chain with 50 links.
Check out GHS Ltd for twin packs!
Thanks. I'm not aware how many options there are after these but this will get me in the right direction.

If you forget to replace chain oil it takes 2 mins to blunt it again .
I did wonder later if it's possible this was the case. I'll check tomorrow how much of an idiot I was!

If one gets into the habit of filling the oil tank first after the saw runs out of fuel then running the chain dry is less likely

A few strokes with a file is usually sufficient if done regularly: like a chisel they're easy to blunt by over sharpening.

Chains direct in Swad or online are quick and stock a good range of replacement chains.

Blup

If one gets into the habit of filling the oil tank first after the saw runs out of fuel then running the chain dry is less likely
I filled both up and I remember being told it's designed to run out of fuel first now I think of it. Though I left it running on idle a lot. Tomorrow will tell!

I filled both up and I remember being told it's designed to run out of fuel first now I think of it. Though I left it running on idle a lot. Tomorrow will tell!
Can't remember with your saw but the oil pump is driven off the clutch mechanism so it only pumps when chain is running.

Can't remember with your saw but the oil pump is driven off the clutch mechanism so it only pumps when chain is running.
Good point - its curious how many people don't connect the clutch drum to the pump drive bar (stihl system) after cleaning :eek:
OP, pointing the chain bar down on to concrete, there should be a fine spray of oil trace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back