How long should you keep them in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved house last week and have 2 cats (Teebag and Henry).

They have been using the litter trays at the moment - which is no problem

When do you think it would be safe for me to start letting them out into the garden?
Someone has told me 2 weeks. Anyone else have any ideas or experience

Sponsored Links
JulieL/B
4week , I read at the cat rescue site ...:)

how are they now ? ? :)

seem to get different answers from evryone on this subject. Depends how homely and nervous your cats are but we were told the following which worked:-

keep them in for two weeks to allow them to get used to the smells and layout of the new home and make them feel comfertable.

Get some cat harnesses (not a piece of string through the collar!) and walk them one at a time around the inside boundary of the garden. Do it a couple of times so they get to know their territory.

dont feed them and let them go out at a quiet time of day and go with them (theyll probably wander off for a bit) call them back and make a big thing with the food dish etc. bring them back in then repeat a couple of times

let them out and keep fingers crossed but they know where theyre well off!

Moz said:
JulieL/B

Yea, that sounds about right ,then let them out and they will probally move into you're neighbours house :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thermo
a very good point about walking them around on a lead ... marking their garden with their faces /scent..

Personally we never bothered with the cat leads, just kept 'em in for a month, didn't feed them before letting them out, then crash bang wallop, welcome to the outside world cats.

We still have 'em BTW!

At least a month, don't do what our new neighbour did and let them out after a week. Their cat was never seen again

Moz said:
JulieL/B

They are not very happy at being taken from their old house!!

Teebag is 18 and is just happy to stay in her basket (she has arthritis). I think she'd be happy to use litter tray and not bother going outside.

Henry used to love going out and wondering round the neighbours gardens in the old house - he's a bit upset at being here (we've had to listen to the 'tom cat' cry during the night for the past week :rolleyes: ).

The tumour on his side is getting bigger - it really sticks out from his fur now - although he doesn't seem to have any problems with it at the moment - but I know it'll only be a matter of time. :cry: :cry:

I would love to post some pictures of them for you to see - but haven't got a digital camera but you could have a look on google images for British shorthair lilac which is what Henry looks like and british shorthair black tipped which is what teebag looks like :) :)

I wouldn't keep the 18 y/o in much longer otherwise it'll may never sense the smell of fresh air on it's face again. Sounds like you've become a cat's hospice :eek: Be prepared for a very smelly house in the near future, incontinence etc.

JulieL/B
I remember them well ... ;)

take your time with them ...... my purdy does the mewling at night too on the landing , cos she doesnt go out ...lol...if you remember shes too fat , climbs up the garden hedge then throws herself over an then crys cos she cant get back over ,bless her ..lol

Eddie M
I dont think that post was very nice at all ,really bad taste .. :( :(

When we got our cat from RSPCA centre, we were told to keep him inside for 4 weeks and then put a little butter on his paws. This was to help him find his way back as a trail or scent would be left for him to follow if he got lost. It worked. :LOL: ;)

nelsy
lol ... mine would be lying on her back licking it all off ..greedy fat cat lol ;)

18 years is a good age for a cat. You really can't expect more than about 20 tops. and in the final years I'm afaid they are dead smelly bu**ers.

Moz said:
Thermo
a very good point about walking them around on a lead ... marking their garden with their faces /scent..
Ours does that INDOORS :eek: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back