how long to service a gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a friend of a friend qualified I should add come and service my mom's Worcester Bosch boiler. he was at the house no more than 25 minutes. it's this long enough?
thank you.
I'm worried he didn't do a proper job because mom was on her own.

Sponsored Links
so ask him specifically, exactly did he do in that time - and how do you know it was "no more than 25 minutes"

Sounds about right,
Depends who,s doing the service and if any adjustments are made,
Or minor repairs.

so ask him specifically, exactly did he do in that time - and how do you know it was "no more than 25 minutes"
thanks for the reply. I know out was 25 minutes because my mom told me. he could tell me anything. the reason I posted the question was to find out of its possible.

Sponsored Links
Depends age of boiler some require a combustion reading before stripping down parts within boiler. Gas rate and working pressure should take min time depending where gas meter is etc. Check of flue and visual inspection of aav/ hydroblock for any leaks or noises. 25/45mins is about right. Older boilers take 60mins give or take as removal of components to clean/check.
As long as you got some paperwork to confirm service with combustion readings than that's fine

To give a proper answer to you we need to know the make and model of boiler.

Some boilers can be correctly serviced in a shorter time and others take much longer and should be charged at a higher rate.

Tony

Last edited:
Depends age of boiler some require a combustion reading before stripping down parts within boiler. Gas rate and working pressure should take min time depending where gas meter is etc. Check of flue and visual inspection of aav/ hydroblock for any leaks or noises. 25/45mins is about right. Older boilers take 60mins give or take as removal of components to clean/check.
As long as you got some paperwork to confirm service with combustion readings than that's fine

So he doesn't need to check & clean the condy trap?? Half the fooking heat exchanger from a Whoofter Botch will be in there!! Then there's the flue intergrity check, electrical checks etc etc etc!!

Basic service on a ri / junior type= fan speed, gas rate, condensate trap clean, hi / lo ratios and visual check 30 mins

Advisable service = as above but removing fan assembly to remove baffles and clean heat exchanger, requires new seals. 60 mins

If you get a basic service done every year then every 10 years or so you will probably need a new heat exchanger which can then be a very expensive 6 hour service!

trying to get the stupid little return pipe I tried to save a tenner with by not ordering out out of the old hx!

Do you mean he's just done a Mickey Mouse Gas course?? Surely you've not let him loose on your Mothers boiler?? Your Mother, the woman that spent countless night caring for you, a lifetime loving you, what kind of son are you??!!

Mate, there's no chance anyone like a course cowboy could service your Mum's boiler.
i have no idea what any of that means!

So he doesn't need to check & clean the condy trap?? Half the fooking heat exchanger from a Whoofter Botch will be in there!! Then there's the flue intergrity check, electrical checks etc etc etc!!
or that!

trying to get the stupid little return pipe I tried to save a tenner with by not ordering out out of the old hx!
Never had a problem on the junior heat engine but i cracked the return pipe on a Cdi one trying to remove it once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back