How many coats to skim ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to plastering but have done a few walls which have turned out ok.

I am now ready to try my 1st ceiling an was looking for some tips...

The 1st thing I wanted to no was, the ceiling has been re-boarded and all the scres have been sunk. How many coats should I skim it with?

Also is there anything else I should no before I attempt the ceiling?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
lol soo the lid is over boaard
one coat it with a sponge float
but the norm is two coats same as walls

Ceilings are a different animal from walls...Make sure you tape all the wall/ceiling abutments.
Get someone to mix your gear for you if you can.
And set your trestles at the correct height, cover the floors well.
wear goggles or glasses.
good luck.

Sponsored Links
Ceilings are a different animal from walls...Make sure you tape all the wall/ceiling abutments.
Get someone to mix your gear for you if you can.
And set your trestles at the correct height, cover the floors well.
wear goggles or glasses.
good luck.
hah ha ha ha ha ha were googles
he mite be working off stilts nd spraying it on with a ritmo lol
is he using muilti or board finish or mp75 ???????
i say use 2 coats if its out your m2 then use the rolling set then youll be ok mixing on your own too

He's only just mastered walls plstering! i doubt he is using anything other than the most basic of gear.

Goggles??? yeah of course!!!...more on floor/ face than on ceiling eh . :eek:

After skimming everything upstairs in my house when I got to the bottom I found a really neat trick..... pay someone to do it. I could have made my life alot easier by having tressles or at least another hop up but i managed to do it all from one hop up and a matey mixing.

thanks for the offer mate but i only got the lounge and hall ceilings left and will gladly pay someone to do them, I can manage the walls no problem and once the house is done I will be hanging up the trowel unless I cant afford to get the bottom rendered but thats too far away to worry about at the moment.

Swansea fella, long drive from you, I know, i did a big job in Maidenhead, I was up there for 3 months :eek: The ceilings wouldn't be worth your while, but maybe the rendering, I gotta close up an opening to fit a 1200 french door first though and need a small lotto win!!

take my number m8 call me 07536957847 jon me and my m8 will be glad too help you out and on the rendering too
Swansea were (kent/wales)
i know for a fact my m8 will be up for it with me we will bricg the fishing rods for after work :cool: sweet

wear goggles or glasses.
good tip to give him that is i had loads of ceilings to do last month up on stilts and i got an eye full of multi painful really painful it was i burnt my cornea and my eye site was blurry for over a week, i had to get the other spread onsite to take over my ceiling and get myself to hospital, after that cleared up i had an infection in the other eye cunjuctivitis which the spread to both eyes , which has just cleared up, suffering with my eyes for 6 weeks now, eyes are precious ive started using goggles now have used em for the last 2 ceilings

if got a set of hilti goggles propper ones
look like ski ones lol dont get anything in my eyes when imm ripping old lids down
iv got a filter mask too and the white all in ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back