How many coats to skim ceiling?

i more often than not wear goggles wen doin a ceilin i got plaster in my eye a few years ago and was in hospital for 3 days getting it out it got behind my eye and had set so it was a bitch to get out even for skilled docs, also it burnt a black spot onto my right eye which wil never go away, frustrateing wen im plastering i always think theres a mark and try to pick it out or trowel it out

Sponsored Links
i more often than not wear goggles wen doin a ceilin i got plaster in my eye a few years ago and was in hospital for 3 days getting it out it got behind my eye and had set so it was a **** to get out even for skilled docs, also it burnt a black spot onto my right eye which wil never go away, frustrateing wen im plastering i always think theres a mark and try to pick it out or trowel it out
people should take notice of our stories jr because there is always the spread who thinks it wont happen to him, i know because i was one of them

Hi,

Thanks for all your tips...

I will definitely be wearing goggles after reading everything on here.

As ceilings are a lot harder to do I might get a professional in. Thing is we have had as few spreads who have done poor jobs so would rather do it myself if that makes sense?

so were in essex are you then m8 :cool: :cool: i just mite be able to help as essex is my old stomping ground :p :p :p :p :p :p
i dont know why but i get the feeling iv met you some were :p :p

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on the size of the ceiling.

Just done my bathroom ceiling 1.7m x 3.2m, yes tough on the old shoulders but looks good. Polishing is always tricky on ceilings though.

But personally would not tackle a bedroom or dining room etc say 4 x 4. No one mixing bar me but of course used mixer.

The prob is skimming plasterboard is relatively easy, the trouble starts where you have uneven ceilings or walls, a lot more tricky.

Used multi finish myself, two coats and no goggles! Prob with small area like above is your waiting round for it to start to go off.

I think it depends on the size of the ceiling.

Just done my bathroom ceiling 1.7m x 3.2m, yes tough on the old shoulders but looks good. Polishing is always tricky on ceilings though.

But personally would not tackle a bedroom or dining room etc say 4 x 4. No one mixing bar me but of course used mixer.

The prob is skimming plasterboard is relatively easy, the trouble starts where you have uneven ceilings or walls, a lot more tricky.

Used multi finish myself, two coats and no goggles! Prob with small area like above is your waiting round for it to start to go off.

Hi Magrah,

Thanks for the tips..

THe ceiling is plasterboard and so is pretty even.

I've got a mixing paddle and drill so should be able to mix it up quick enough?

its not about mixing it up quick m8 its about mixing it up good and not betting to much air in the mix and geting the lumps out and getting to the right thickness if its going over some ones work theres no gurantee on the stuff your going over

Hi Steve

Looks like you have been PM-ed anyway.

Yes using in date multi you should have plenty of time, stick one coat on clean your bucket and tools and then your pretty much ready for the 2nd. As I was saying with these smaller area what was annoying was finding something to do while it went off sufficient to finish it!

The only other thing I would say is never try and mix the right amount, always good to go over.

The only other thing I would say is never try and mix the right amount, always good to go over.

Would agree with this whole-heartedly!

Getting reasonable now at estimating the mixes I need for walls - but when I did my first ceiling, completely underestimated size!
Got half way through 1st coat then had to do a 2nd mix.
Again, underestimated and ran short of finishing 2nd coat. :evil:
This resulted in a small third mix to finish off.
Result was not good!!!! Not to be repeated.

The one thing i will say about ceilings is there is usually no interference from plug sockets.

Also, if you have a friendly sparky he will fish the wires out for you and leave you with a completely clear ceiling.

I really detest the moron sparks that cut out the downlight holes before you have skimmed. It usually results in crusty blobs of skim falling, rather accurately, straight onto your eyeball. :evil:

nope not herd anything i gave him a step by step guide on how to do it so mabey hes had a crack himself be interesting to find out what he did in the end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back