How many LEDs have been produced ? (

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many LED elements have been produced since year 2000 ?

This came up in a discussion last night, no one could even guess how many.

Sponsored Links
a) 350M per week?

b) Even more than the number of Zimdollars you would need to buy a family house with a decent sized garden in central London?

Sponsored Links
x the answer is always x but no idea of the value of x, seems to change with every sum I did at school.

To be more to the point, how do you define between a light and an indicator? my wife complains about how many mainly blue LED's light up her bedroom, forgetting the TV which has some 1.5k LED's in the room I am in there are 7 little LED's on at the moment, plus a light bulb which likely has an array of LED's not just one single unit. Also not all LED's give off any light, optical isolators have LED's but you can't see them.

As to if diodes emit light when that light is not used I am not sure. I know the diode valve gave out a red glow from the heater. Is that classed as a LED? Is the cathode ray tube a LED? The electrons only go in one direction, it does not have a grid, so I suppose it is a diode? When it had a grid we called it a triode, however some alternator manufacturers called the three diodes used to power the AVR a triode as well. At least Delco Remy did.

I remember as a kid trying to make a radio using the yellow streak you found in some lumps of coal. Never though of putting power though the coal to see if it gave off light. I am sure it would with enough power, but as to if that's a LED or just a bit of coal burning I don't know?

Most of the indication ones are just annoying. Why do you need a red light to tell you the TV is off and s green to tell you it's on? The picture, or lack of picture, gives it away.

Most of the indication ones are just annoying. Why do you need a red light to tell you the TV is off and s green to tell you it's on? The picture, or lack of picture, gives it away.
Mine are more sensible than that. If one switches to standby, a red indicator comes on - indicating that, although there is no picture, the TV is in standby mode, not "off". That seems fair enough. When there is a picture, there is no indicator light at all.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back