How many women tackle DIY?

I gave my son a lot of DIY tools when he bought a house and got married, then found out that his wife is as good at DIY as I am (or better, for all I know!) and has loads of useful tools already. I could have saved my money... :(

Sponsored Links
My husband's first major foray into DIY resulted in spending Monday evening at A and E dealing with a Stanley knife incident.

I think it is because of our different personalities. I can spend hours "int he zone" doing something that shows very little improvement, he needs to see the fruits of his labour quickly.

I reckon my biggest problem is my lack of strength. I've had to agree not to plaster any more ceilings - I just don't have the arm strength to manage properly.

I have to say, though, that sometimes condescending blokes in hardware stores can be insulting. More usually the other customers than the staff, though! I remember telling someone once that PVA splatters do wonders for hair volume :)

I think women are sometimes more practical than men, they just get on with the DIY and solve problems as and when they need to!

Women have been in the building trades in the USA since the seventies. The trade unions led the way in apprenticing and training ( to a very high standard ) mostly under legal - civil rights - duress.
Many construction college departments eg. plumbing and carpentry & joinery are headed by women, as are many licensed contractors ( my ex was one ).
Women are as skilled and hard working as the men - no better, no worse. As a matter of interest, the iron workers in New York, Native Americans mostly, now have women flashing up the skyscrapers, and walking the girders a 1000ft up.
If you are a parent, and you look at those beautiful little creatures and just know that you would do anything for them in life, then perhaps stopping the sexist rubbish, that can hinder any child from doing whatever they want in life, would be a good place to start.

Sponsored Links
hi, I'm a female joiner by trade but now manage a joinery and welding workshop. Obviously i do my own diy, but was surprised to come home early one evening and find my girlfriend re-pointing the chimney. apparently she was taught bricklaying and plastering as a child by her builder dad as something 'every girl ought to know'!

hi, I'm a female joiner by trade but now manage a joinery and welding workshop. Obviously i do my own diy, but was surprised to come home early one evening and find my girlfriend re-pointing the chimney. apparently she was taught bricklaying and plastering as a child by her builder dad as something 'every girl ought to know'!

You weld wood?

Not going to state the other male question the others are wanting to!

You weld wood?

Not going to state the other male question the others are wanting to!

Alarm, if you are truly struggling to comprehend what is written, you should really refrain from posting. Otherwise you're just going to look like a fool again, and again.

Cajar as you are obviously struggling to have a personality I suggest you just stop posting full stop :mrgreen:

Alarm, yeah, the big question - how come they allowed you to leave school?

I think DIY is like anything else you have never done before. It's trial and error, and you have to give it a go or you will always rely on someone ese who is not keen to do the work... either that - or pay someone.

I surprised myself this week by undertaking a task and doing it properly with the correct materials and proper tools. I looked here on this website for advice and went from there.

I am now looking at doing other things that I would never have dreamed of doing before, and enjoying the prospect.

Bunty x x

A lot of DIY is just common sense...if you are at all practical you can do it...
I think your family background is an influence . I was very much a tom boy (I have an older sister and my brothers are 6 yr younger than me) I watched and helped my dad do DIY, service cars etc and spent a lot of time on my grandparent's farm (driving tractors, fixing fences etc).
I wasn't allowed to leave home without being able to demonstrate I could wire a plug or drive my first car away without changing a tyre, check the oil and water etc...

My partner is a bit useless at DIY etc (neither his dad nor mum did any DIY and his dad wasn't around from when he was 11) . It took him 40 mins to put a smoke alarm up - on an angle.
He finished the wall papering in one of the bedrooms (my youngest was a week or so old and I wasn't up to it) - you can tell which bit he did - the bit where the paper has started peeling off...
Then again he hasn't got any patience - when he tidied the garden up he dug up half the plants because it took too long to go round them!
Finally he doesn't like hard physical work - our old shed was at the bottom of a slope with earth right next to one wall. As it was knackered and too big anyway - we were replacing it with a plastic storage box thing...
I was building the new box first (for the stuff in case it rained etc) ..he asked if he could help - I said the next job was to dig out the side of the shed ...he said he didn't like digging and he'd take the children to the park instead - ignoring the fact that someone (me!) would have to do the digging out...

ray99 said:
Women multitask?????????????
Haven't met one yet who can have a headache and sex at the same time.

I don't know about that but I do know one who can make love while watching TV - which can turn a half-hour sitcom into a pretty hair-raising experience! :p :p :p

But I digress :oops: :oops: :oops: ---

Mickymoody said:
I think women are more dextrous to men, but you don't see women doing soldering, or not in Europe.

I have to disagree there. I've worked in four electronics factories where nearly all the assembly work was done by women. That included making up cable harnesses as well as PCBs. The men were fewer in number and were more likely to be doing the mechanical stuff.

Lusi83 said:
I think your family background is an influence .

I'm sure that's got a lot to do with it. If you regularly see your parents doing something, you get the idea that this is something you can do too :idea: :idea: :idea: though it doesn't follow that you'll want to. My mother is quite handy around the house and I attribute this to the fact that her father was a joiner. But there is, as I see it, a big difference between the sexes; at least in my generation. Women could choose to dabble in DIY whereas we men were more or less expected to get on with it, despite the fact that some of us had two left hands . (I have a brother-in law who cannot grasp the concept of a left hand thread. :confused: :confused: :confused: ) To be fair though, that rule applied in reverse to a lot of other household tasks, like cooking, washing, ironing, knitting and sewing. My mother taught me all those things while I was still in junior school but sadly - or maybe conveniently :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: - all but the first two are distant memories. :( :( ;)

PS: Our other half had no such examples to follow but she somehow became a dab hand with a paint brush - and before anybody gets the wrong idea, I do mean dipping it in a paint pot and spreading it onto a wall! I remember coming home one day to find that she'd repainted all the bedroom walls, including the insides of the built-in wardrobes. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Me! I recently put up a ceiling with a bit of help from my 13 year old son. I used the smallest sized plasterboard so I could fit it in my van and it was easier to handle. I also do tiling, decorating, sewing, furniture restoration, laminate flooring, carpets, all decorating and a bit of plumbing and simple electrics. And any flatpacks.
I have found that many items, such as the small plasterboards are built or made for the average sized man to handle. This means that I can't carry the plasterboard under my arm because my arm is a bit too short! This is very annoying.

My mum grew up as the eldest of five and the daughter of an engineer and as such pretty handy and a determinded induvidal. They lived in an big old victorain house in bolton she was re-attaching sash cords from the age of about 8!

A lot of what she does now is decorating, but she can do the woodwork and edging on a room better than anyone else ive seen, typically using a 6inch brush. But shes atleast as technically able as most and on a par with my dad.

My girlfriend same like me, not a lot she cant do and even less shes not game to have a go at, dab hand with the power tools, woodwork, wiring, painting, sorted.

Daniel

My cousin, a retired cabin stewardess, now owns and runs a small food processing plant. Watching a welder doing emergency repairs to a machine she realised she, with a bit practise, could do the work the next time there was a need and save the high "emergency" call out charges. She now does all the repairs and new machine build welding.

Women are just as capable as men if men allow them to be.

Sponsored Links
Back