How much can I cut off door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have identified a Ply Veneer external Fire door as sold by B&Q and made by Jeldwen as suitable in terms off look and price.

They don't answer the number 01142542336 which I was given for them.

The door is 1981 X 763 mm

The opening is 754 at the top and only 730 at the bottom with the 33 mm really needing to be taken off the opening edge only.

As an engineer, I find it very annoying that there are no construction details ever given on doors so I cannot form any opinion on the effect of taking that much off the door.

Can anyone give me any views on this?

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this helps, it lists the trim allowance for each door and the jeld wen site gives an indication of the construction of the sides (you might get an idea just looking at the top of the door). I guess if you take too much off it could jeopardise the integrity for the fire door? I'm actually needing to do something similar (not fire doors though) so I'm keeping an eye on this.

Of the engineered doors I have seen advertised that actually give information, it is always a maximum of 10mm off either side for trimming, but I only ever looked at internal doors. It so happens I have a ply (internal) fire door lying useless in my house at the moment. Maybe I'll smash it open and see what's inside it...

I have identified a Ply Veneer external Fire door as sold by B&Q and made by Jeldwen as suitable in terms off look and price.

The opening is 754 at the top and only 730 at the bottom with the 33 mm really needing to be taken off the opening edge only.

As an engineer, I find it very annoying that there are no construction details ever given on doors so I cannot form any opinion on the effect of taking that much off the door.

Thanks

Tony
You really need to consider squaring up the lining or replacing, you never take timber off one edge of a door unless a few mm, to keep it balanced.

Sponsored Links
I would agree first square up the lining, then if you still have an odd size then consider a solid core blank which can be cut to any size, you could of course just use one of these anyway and shoot it into your out of square lining.

Thanks

Tony
Hey Tony you should get a professional Joiner, it can be highly dangerous for those who are not in the game and are incompetent and not qualified as Professional Joiners, ( so if you are asking this question, you should not be attempting this yourself) if your door does not fit right as fire and smoke could seep through and kill, so don't be tight git, pay a professional joiner who is a registered member of BWF (British Woodworking Federation) No wonder they didn't answer your call! ha ha !

I think H&S should make it illegal for anyone who is not a registered member of BWF to work on any doors and windows. (LOL)

This does not need to be a fire door. Its just that this particular door is relatively cheap and does the job. Although I can work on wood its something I hate. But I have a carpenter guy who will be doing it but he does not have much knowledge about these kind of things.

For your amusement the need to replace comes from thinking there was a squatter still in there and it took then police about 14 minutes to get in with their enforcer and a really good 1 m long jemmy. But its an outwards opening door so very secure.

Tony

I would agree first square up the lining, then if you still have an odd size then consider a solid core blank which can be cut to any size, you could of course just use one of these anyway and shoot it into your out of square lining.

Where can I get a solid core blank? Stockists?

Tony

Tony I was just having a laugh mate, yes you are right if it is a fire door then it is best to leave it to the professionals, particularly in HMOs.
As for solid core blank, as I am not into wood or joinery works, I might know more about boilers! (ha Ha) is this a solid door we call? Do Wickes not stock various types?

Oh talking of how much to cut off the edges of a door, I will tell you a story and you will die laughing!

we saw an ad and Wickes had a special offer on internal doors, they were flogging internal doors for £9.99!

me and my mate were renovating a house where we decided rather than to repair a smashed door that we might as well buy this cheap door and cut and fit that,
So we took measurements and the width was 28" and length about 78" and it was for a small utility room.

we hopped over to Wickes, and found that the only door they had on low offer was surplus stock in size 32" width . all others were normal price, so we asked the store to trim 2" of each side, but the guy who runs the cutting workshop or counter refused to cut it and said they had a policy of not trimming any doors, unless I first pay for the door and obtain approval from his manager.

So we did, paid for it and got the store manager's approval, at our risk, and no come back, so we both had a feeling that if we trim 2" we might not be so lucky and we could start seeing the inner honeycomb spacer they use.

so as soon as the guy started to cut we could see the honey comb was showing through the cut, but the guy continued cutting as if it was OK, he did not stop,

so he then turned the door over and cut off 2" from the other side as well, as if it was OK.
Both me and my mate never felt so embarrassed and felt like a couple of prats,

As soon as we got out of the store we couldn't stop laughing at our selves, and we hurried to our van to hide it quickly, before other customers see us, at one point we were almost going to leave that door in the car park but then if we did, we would not have been able to return to that store ever again to show our faces!

Still we spent the next two days to glue and fit in the edging that was taken out and we managed to rebuild that door and fit it in, in the end it cost us probably £200 in our labour time!

it pays to call de professionals!!

Last edited:

Where can I get a solid core blank? Stockists?

Tony
any of the builders merchants will be able to source one (jeld-wen) or just do a search for solid core fire door blanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back