how much concrete can be poured in a day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Need some help if poss,
I've been asked to pour/lay nearly 14m3 of concrete for a stable.
Due to its location readymix is out of the question.
I've got a tractor with a 3/4 ton bucket available so I'm able to transport to site no problem.
I've also got two lads to give me some help.

My question is..... the farmer (tractor driver) wants to know how long it's going to take to mix by mixer (130kg) 14m3 of concrete, assuming the four of us do an eight hour day?
From site to 'mixing bay' is only around 200m, but at the bottom of a very steep hill.
I'm currently thinking it's a 5 day job, but would appreciate your thoughts,
thanks.

Sponsored Links
We had shuttering burst once and re mixed the spilled contents the next day.
Four of us started at 6.00am and had the 8 cubic meters re mixed by 6.00pm using a tractor mixer.
The work involved repairing the shuttering ,breaking up the setting concrete and of course adding extra cement which was about a ton.

You want a 250/l mixer minimum for fast delivery! Like the Teagle Spiromix.
And a couple of big navvies to fill it.

14 cube weighs in at about 35 tonnes of mixed product.

With 130kg per mix that makes around 270 mix loads

Without considering how your slaves are going to feel shovelling all that feed-stock into the mixer, I'd guess at an average of around 8 mixes per hour which works out at 34 mixing hours.

I think your 5 days is a fair estimate but it'll be hard graft, sore backs and a whole barrel of beer per man.

Sponsored Links
As Nose has said, pump it.
If you still wish to go self mix route, hire either a 5/3.5 or 7/5
Two lads with a 5/3.5 will turn out 2.1 cm per hour and with a 7/5 3.3 cm per hour. Add your own time on for transport and laying.
Regards oldun

Hi, Need some help if poss,
I've been asked to pour/lay nearly 14m3 of concrete for a stable.
Due to its location readymix is out of the question.
I've got a tractor with a 3/4 ton bucket available so I'm able to transport to site no problem.
I've also got two lads to give me some help.

My question is..... the farmer (tractor driver) wants to know how long it's going to take to mix by mixer (130kg) 14m3 of concrete, assuming the four of us do an eight hour day?
From site to 'mixing bay' is only around 200m, but at the bottom of a very steep hill.
I'm currently thinking it's a 5 day job, but would appreciate your thoughts,
thanks.

Had you considered pouring readymix straight into your transport bucket? Or a tipping/dump trailer/site dumper?
A site dumper would be a lot cheaper to hire than that mixa mate contraption!
A few hours work for a 4 man team!

We can lay (3 man team) 100cube in a day at our leisure. Power float finish. Most we ever did was 540 C/m in one day. (4 man plus the pump) :mrgreen:
We try to avoid expensive pumps though which is why most of the placements are done with two heavy duty excavators.

Concrete here in the province is £60 per cubic meter which = £840 for your job plus labour £320 and dumper hire = £100
Total = £1260

If your 4 man team spends five days on site mixing then that accumulates too..£1600 alone.
:eek:

Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad I wasn't too far off with my 5 day estimate.
Ideally I would like the concrete poured directly, but when I phoned and explained the site conditions, they sent a chap out who took one look and said ''no chance mate, sorry''

Good idea re. ready mix direct into the bucket. I'll phone tomorrow and get it sorted.

Thanks again all.

We can have a two man operated pump on hire for about £200, even less if you can shoot it in within the hour. It does not even compute financially to not have one.

Ignore Norcs he lives in a fantasy world somewhere in a peat bog just north of Blarneyland.

He does not even realise that there is more than one type of pump. Bless.

We can have a two man operated pump on hire for about £200, even less if you can shoot it in within the hour. It does not even compute financially to not have one.

Ignore Norcs he lives in a fantasy world somewhere in a peat bog just north of Blarneyland.

He does not even realise that there is more than one type of pump. Bless.

Here in the province you won't hire a pump for less than £500.
But at least we can make high quality concrete at very competitive rates.

Your pumping contraption isn't needed. Get over it.
:LOL:

Btw how much will your two man pumping team charge to take their pumping contraption into the hills off Powys?

Your pumping contraption isn't needed. Get over it.
:LOL:

Btw how much will your two man pumping team charge to take their pumping contraption into the hills off Powys?
Fair point Norcs.
Short memory too. You are the one forever reminding forum users about all things "here in the province".

Get a quote from a local pump company.

LOL!Wot a knob. :rolleyes:

Have you thought about what may happen if it starts piddling it down?

You will have no such problems with a pump.

You can even have a couple of wagons lined up if the company will grant you or at least a two lorry turn-around.

If it does rain persistently, you will wish you had never been born.

I guess it depends what the track up to the stables is like, it might be a good track, just too steep for a mixer, and or the mixers driver.

But your not wrong, you could easy end up destroying the access road taking 35 ton up in 45-50 runs.

How big is the stable? 10*30m ish? Not seen a new one going in, but the concrete on the stables ive been to has pretty thin floors, that's up a hill but I would expect you could just about get a mixer up there.

Daniel

You can even have a couple of wagons lined up if the company will grant you or at least a two lorry turn-around.

Forget pumping. Too costly.

It is possible to rely on the met office. If a horse can get down it a tractor will.
Downhill loaded, uphill empty. Simples.

Normally where you have horses, yarding, stables etc you will have good access for vets, horse boxes, feed stuff delivery etc.
Its hardly like Powys is the undiscovered wild west. Maybe you should saddle up your pack donkeys and go have a look? :LOL:

Forget pumping. Too costly.

It is possible to rely on the met office. If a horse can get down it a tractor will.
Downhill loaded, uphill empty. Simples.

Normally where you have horses, yarding, stables etc you will have good access for vets, horse boxes, feed stuff delivery etc.
Its hardly like Powys is the undiscovered wild west. Maybe you should saddle up your pack donkeys and go have a look? :LOL:

I don't understand how Nose's £200 for the hire of a pump is expensive?

If you tart about with that much concrete with man power and digger/dumper hire costs over that distance it will come in i'd imagine over the cost of the hire of the pump.

So although you can get wonderfully cheap concrete in the province - you've got to shift it all by hand or pay way over the odds for a simple concrete pump! At £500 it may be too expensive - I often use a pump to do as little as 3m3 because its a damn site easier and gives me more to time to work the concrete and get a good finish. The lads can be doing more useful things than barrowing Barrows of wet messy concrete about. (You'd only need one slip in a digger to loose a few cubes of concrete at £250!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back