How much do we suffer/gain from our ancestors and their behaviour?

Sponsored Links
Mrs Mottie transcribes for a liver consultant. She’s always quoting me government guidelines and generally acting the wine Nazi. I’ve had a bit of a free reign over the Christmas period but now we are back on to just two bottles a week to be drunk between Thursday night and Sunday lunchtime. She always examines the bottles to see the unit content. Bloody boring!
You'll appreciate it when you're dead .

I used to go sailing a lot with a retired GP....He was pizzed all day and all night every day, on the boat or off it.Obviously he knew the dangers...He was a happy,perma pizzed bloke ...Died of liver problems!Was if from the day he retired (50s) he never had a sober day.

Sponsored Links
Mrs Mottie transcribes for a liver consultant. She’s always quoting me government guidelines and generally acting the wine Nazi. I’ve had a bit of a free reign over the Christmas period but now we are back on to just two bottles a week to be drunk between Thursday night and Sunday lunchtime. She always examines the bottles to see the unit content. Bloody boring!

surely wine doesn't vary much in alcohol content, its only between around 11% to 14%.

I could tell that my friend had a drink problem by the way his hands began to shake. When I asked him if he was drinking too much, he just said "no, I spill most of it".

I think we gain a number of our attributes, traits and maybe even our attitude from our ancestors. Also looking back several hundred years at my own family, physical features can be passed on through the ages too. My family on my mother's side were wealthy clothiers in the 18th and 19th century with strong links to the cotton trade. Maybe my right wing leanings come from this branch of the family?

As for physical attributes, I can see from some family portraits I inherited that I share several features, mainly complexion, identical hair colour and even the curl of the hair. One portrait even shows this distant ancestor's love of animals, which I have definitely had from an early age. So yes, I would say genes are very inportant in forming who you are - even from centuries ago.

Last edited:
I could tell that my friend had a drink problem by the way his hands began to shake. When I asked him if he was drinking too much, he just said "no, I spill most of it".
Tell that to Ted Striker!!

I used to go sailing a lot with a retired GP....
I used to chuckle at our old GP. If you saw him with any complaints and alcohol was mentioned, he'd ask what it was you were drinking, 'lager' I'd say.
His response would be..
"why don't you try a different drink, like bitter or mild or Guinness...?"

He was an old rugby player and would only tell you to quit alcohol if you liver depended upon it.

Sponsored Links
Back