How Much Do You Drink A Week ..???

Sponsored Links
surely size must come into it? I'm 6ft 5ins and although I've got abit of a tummy I'm told at the well man clinic that I'm the right weight for my height, I've got big hands and a bottle of wine looks fairly small in them so surely its ok for me to drink the whole bottle it would be like a smaller person drinking a babysham um! nice!, anyway thats my excuse, hell you gotta have some pleasures in life init ! ? :D

Richard wrote,

surely size must come into it? I'm 6ft 5ins and also, I've got big hands and a bottle of wine looks fairly small in them.

Sorry if I have ever upset you Richard, it was never intentional. :LOL: :LOL:

Richardp said:
I've got big hands and a bottle of wine looks fairly small in them

I've had this one, one of my friends makes fun of me because he reckons a pint doesn't look like a pint when I'm holding it :LOL:

About being big: how does this affect what you should drink? Presumably the 28 units/week figure was calculated for an "average" man (what's that, about 5'10 and 11 stone?), but if you are bigger or smaller, does it make that much of a difference?

I would suppose that seeing as everything is down to mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, the real difference is how much blood you have. Does a 20-stone man have twice as much blood as a 10-stone man?

When I was 10-stone I had an initiation where I drank 10 pints in 4-hours and it made me very sick the next day. Whilst at my current size I can now do this without suffering for it, I'm not sure I can drink 1.6-1.7 times what I used to. 17 pints in 4 hours would probably make me pass out.

Sponsored Links
when I was young I was tall and thin, my sport was rowing which I did in competition twice a week and I worked on the land which kept me fit, in those days I drank alot of ale 8-10pints everynight and smoked 20 cigs a day , well I thought it was alot until I read what Moz drank, anyways now I'm 53 don't smoke and if I go to the pub after me bottle of red wine and drink 3-4 pints I'll have a hang over in the morning !!! I know, "light weight". but I don't do any sport and I don't do hardly any physical work anymore. and I'm also very contented with my lot which all comes into it.(the thing that interests me most as I write these posts is that I keep forgetting what my original point was, Da!!) :confused:

work hard play hard was a motto i learnt in the army. I drank 10 times as much as i do now, leaving the sergeants mess at 5 on a wednesday morning just to get up at 630 and go on pt with the boys.......great life. Cooked breakfast every morning, loads of beer and physical training............that is what the infantry live on, did not do us any harm. Live your life as this is not a rehearsal, as long as you are happy who gives a t*ss ;)

pipme said:
securespark said:
....I used to go out, drink 12 pints of lager, a few whisky chasers, 20 odd fags and 2 Hamlet in the space of just a few hours. .......
Gordon bleeeding Bennet !! That is some 'split' old son, did you soak the ciggys and cigars or shred 'em into the mix ... filtered glasses or what??..... Desperate Dan himself !

:D :D :D

No, each item was consumed individually!!

Why do you think I'm a fat feuckr now??

AdamW said:
About being big: how does this affect what you should drink? Presumably the 28 units/week figure was calculated for an "average" man (what's that, about 5'10 and 11 stone?), but if you are bigger or smaller, does it make that much of a difference? .

This made me stop and think: if you start at 11 stone and start to drink, say, 40 units a week until you are 12 stone, then 40 units may be ok for a 12 stone man so you would have to up it to 50 units til you are up to 14 stone...etc.etc.

Richardp said:
surely size must come into it? I'm 6ft 5ins and although I've got abit of a tummy I'm told at the well man clinic that I'm the right weight for my height,

Yeah - I'm not too fat, I'm just not tall enough for my weight. ;)

As for Moz - enjoy yourself whilst you can, you probably don't have much longer. Find out what the symptons of a heart attack are, so that you know if you get a little one.

I'm recovering from a heart attack I got a month ago. I had a couple of warnings, but didn't know they were warnings and ignored them. Then I got a biggie. It could have killed me.

Look here for symptons:
http://www.heartinfo.org/hrtatkang.html

What does size have to do with it?

Unlike most drugs which dilute themselves into your total blood volume, alcohol spreads easily through your entire fluid volume. That's why it can start working so fast. It doesn't have to make the long trip down into the intestines then out into the blood and up to the brain. It can take a short cut.

What this means is that if you weigh twice us much you can drink twice as much before you get drunk. This is not an advantage because it will also cost you twice as much! What it doesn't mean is that you will get rid of that alcohol twice as fast. The liver breaks down alcohol at a more or less constant rate and no amount of extra fat will help. This compensates for the fact that you paid twice as much because it will last twice as long.

What else does size have to do with it? Wrong question. What does it have to do with size? The unfortunate answer is quite a lot. Alcohol has calories in it. Forget about all those ads for 'low carbohydrate' lager. That's just a scam to get you to drink rubbish made from sugar with a pinch of malt in it.

I weigh at least two stone more than I would like. I do my best to eat b****r all. It isn't working. I've come to the awful conclusion that I'll have to give up Carlsberg special!

felix said:
I've come to the awful conclusion that I'll have to give up Carlsberg special!

Why is such a conclusion awful? Giving that stuff up would be a pretty happy resolution in my book! :)

Hey, Richard, a fellow rower!

I used to row for Kingston until a few years ago, unfortunately I now live 30 miles drive from the nearest river so am currently unable to.

Once did Oxford to Kingston in a coxless quad, a mere 93 miles... did it over 2 days of course. Tis great fun manoeuvring a racing quad with cleavers through Oxfordshire locks barely wide enough for a narrowboat!!! I was at bow, so in those locks I was stabilising and manoeuvring the boat by myself, with sculls pulled in until they was only about 2 feet of them past the gate... amazing that we didn't capsize! :LOL: Got some funny looks from passers-by though.

felix said:
I've come to the awful conclusion that I'll have to give up Carlsberg special!

There was a letter in Viz last month from someone who was offering to star in a film similar to "Supersize Me", whereby he would live off Carlsberg Special for a month :LOL:

Horrid piece of gardening this afternoon followed by ... sitting out with two large icy G&T 's .... the world was easing past, I could not have given a fig... Heaven is ..??

One complaint, I miss the 'proper' sound of the trains in the valley below .. blo#dy welded rails !! sounds like a big artic rumbling through nowadays.
:eek: :D :D :D

AdamW said:
Hey, Richard, a fellow rower!

I used to row for Kingston until a few years ago, unfortunately I now live 30 miles drive from the nearest river so am currently unable to.

Once did Oxford to Kingston in a coxless quad, a mere 93 miles... did it over 2 days of course. Tis great fun manoeuvring a racing quad with cleavers through Oxfordshire locks barely wide enough for a narrowboat!!! I was at bow, so in those locks I was stabilising and manoeuvring the boat by myself, with sculls pulled in until they was only about 2 feet of them past the gate... amazing that we didn't capsize! :LOL: Got some funny looks from passers-by though.

Adam, Same sport different boat.
gig.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back