How much sand and cement to brick up a doorway ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :),

Hope someone can help me with this coronavirus lead self isolation question please ??

I need to brick up a doorway to keep my house secure and I've only got three bags of sand and three quarters of a bag of cement, as all the builders merchants shut on the day I was going to buy some more.......talk about timing !!

Will that be enough to get a single skin of bricks done as a temporary measure ?? Standard doorway, standard old house bricks, about three and a half bricks per row.

Hate to ask, but I don't want to start it if I haven't got enough materials to complete it :(

Cheers,
Graeme.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmmmm, thanks for that Woody, I recon about 84 bricks should do it, so I might just get away with it :?:

Last edited:
I get about 70-80 bricks out of 10 shovels of sand and half a bag of cement. Which I think roughly ties in with what woody said if you go with 4 shovels to a bag

So yeah, you should deffo manage it if you don’t mess up and waste a load

that’s for 3x perf bricks btw

Sponsored Links
I get about 70-80 bricks out of 10 shovels of sand and half a bag of cement. Which I think roughly ties in with what woody said if you go with 4 shovels to a bag

So yeah, you should deffo manage it if you don’t mess up and waste a load

that’s for 3x perf bricks btw

Ha.....waste a load ?? That's a guarantee from a non builder !! :rolleyes:

I've given up for now, having checked the bag of cement it's gone hard round the outside of the bag, and even though I've crushed it into submission, after reading up on here it's not worth the risk using it. Eventually the bricking up I'm going to be doing will be supporting an RSJ, so best get it done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back