How much would you charge for doing Fred's job?

Sponsored Links
Take note all you ladder climbers, as to the correct way to use your hands when climbing (or descending) a ladder.

HANDS ON TH SIDES, NOT THE WRUNGS!

You learn this lesson quick when you have descended a ladder with shoite on yer boots. :p

The real reason is that you don't need to take your hand off the ladder as you simply slide your hands.

He reckons some of those blocks weighed 5 tons - so how did they lift them up in 1870? Would a modern day tower crane lift a 5 tonne block 300 feet?
Anyone know?

Fred is a legend. It made me feel a bit queasy just watching the video :eek: A true gent as well. Not many of those left. :(

Sponsored Links
if you carry on searching,you will find 1 of him errecting his own scaffolding on a tower,bloody hell he had some gonads :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_7uIapoHc

Think that may be the one Gregers.

It makes me chuckle what the Health and Safety bods would make of that today. No hi Viz jackets , no helmets on the guys on the ground, no coned off area on the ground, Fred with only his flat cap for protection and smoking a roll up ciggie on his way down at the end :LOL: Superb!

yep thats it :LOL: amazing how he walks on 1 board when hes up that high LASHING it together with a bit of rope,with the wind blowing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_7uIapoHc

Think that may be the one Gregers.

It makes me chuckle what the Health and Safety bods would make of that today. No hi Viz jackets , no helmets on the guys on the ground, no coned off area on the ground, Fred with only his flat cap for protection and smoking a roll up ciggie on his way down at the end :LOL: Superb!

all a hi viz jacket will do is show where the body is when it hits the ground, and the helmet might keep the brins in a bit!

feel sorry for the poor bugger that has to paint that orange ladder on the side of the chimney!

It makes me chuckle what the Health and Safety bods would make of that today. !

I agree. H&S is pointless.

In another of his videos when he's felling a huge chimney, literally seconds before the whole thing comes tumbling down he takes ten paces back and blows a whistle twice. :LOL:

Can't say it enough, the guys a legend!

Does anybody remember the documentary that was being made of Fred? While being filmed having his dinner break in the pub, one of his hoppos runs in and tells him that some protester has climbed up his ladders on the chimney he was demolishing.

The protester has frozen near the top and can't go up or down. But Freds hoppo say's it's alright cos he's phoned the police.

Fred says "Police? police won't get cnt down, I'll have to get cnt down".

With that he sups his pint and goes off to skull drag said cnt back down.

Legend doesn't do him justice. :D

Legend doesn't do him justice. :D

LOL :LOL: Priceless.

He said in one of the vids that he had, on occasion, been up those bloody ladders with a few beers in him.

He explained it was OK because he took his time when he had a drink inside him. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

a true legend, the world would be a better place with more men like him in it. Was lucky enough to meet him once (very briefly) and attended his theatre show/talk not long before he passed away - he couldn't half tell a tale too!!

I'd love to do that job but like others have said, i assume it'd be bogged down in H&S nowadays. I know towards the end of his career he ended up working without insurance as no insurance company in the country would take on the risks he took. If only we took as much pride in the things we make/build these days as they did when they built all the things in the world that Fred lived for.

If you see some of his TV shows about the Industrial Revolution you'll also see he was a fine natural draughtsman who could draw straight lines and curves freehand with little effort. If ever there should have been a guy knighted - it should have been Fred.

Sponsored Links
Back