How old do the electrics in this house look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

New to the forum and even newer into the world of household circuits!

I'm buying my first house. Very exciting, but I don't have that much of an idea about how to check the electrics are decent. I'm going to get an electrician in, but I was wondering if someone could take a quick look and tell me either -

a - that house is going to burn down as soon as you turn the lights on

b - it doesn't look too bad from those pictures, but still get it checked

or

c - not enough info to go on

I've taken a few pictures:

This is the CU (I think that's what it's called):

It seems to be a Wylex WSES 80/2 - some other forums I've read suggests this is quite old.

Here's a close up of the detail:

Here's how it's wired into the meter:

And this is what the wiring looks like for the electric shower:

Does any of this scream "God lord get out!!!"?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
b) looks okay but still have a report done.

It does state 16th ed installation, nothing wrong with that but you may find some chancer trying to convince you that a new board is required.
I would check the manufacturers dates of the wylex breaker as there was a recall on them. But likely your board predates that.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/33383/sa_07_11.pdf[/QUOTE]
Cheers for that :) So I'm guessing the 16th Ed puts that CU at 1991 or later.

There's a couple of NSB06s in there for the lights, so I'd better double-check those!

Sponsored Links
With Brown/Blue cable, surely that's post 2005?
Looks like there has been some additions or replacements, since the board install, as you quite rightly say brown/blue on shower iso, there looks to be a sticker on the board for two versions of BS7671 colours.
The installation of the board could have been done anytime between 1991 and 2008. So contradicting myself it is possible that both core colours did exist when board swap was made!
Justaddwater, I would be asking for a copy of any documentation that exist concerning the electrics, the vendor will have to truthfully state whether any electrical work has been carried out post 2005 and there is evidence that there has been.

With Brown/Blue cable, surely that's post 2005?
Looks like there has been some additions or replacements, since the board install, as you quite rightly say brown/blue on shower iso, there looks to be a sticker on the board for two versions of BS7671 colours.
The installation of the board could have been done anytime between 1991 and 2008. So contradicting myself it is possible that both core colours did exist when board swap was made!
Justaddwater, I would be asking for a copy of any documentation that exist concerning the electrics, the vendor will have to truthfully state whether any electrical work has been carried out post 2005 and there is evidence that there has been.
Thanks again - I will ask for some documents. You're right in identifying the sticker:

Yep, I agree that consumer unit is later than 70's I just put one in the bin! You will get mcb's on ebay…. 40a is gold dust!

KA

Yep, I agree that consumer unit is later than 70's I just put one in the bin! You will get mcb's on ebay…. 40a is gold dust!

KA

So where did your original figure of 70s come from then?

Plucked it out of thin air, got it worng and misled the OP yet again.

The board is from the early 90s, and the shower is a more recent addition, but it's hard to say for sure what's lurking beneath. This is where your electrician comes in :)

KA

So where did your original figure of 70s come from then?
10 YEARS EARLIER ……… keep up man.

KA

The board is from the early 90s, and the shower is a more recent addition, but it's hard to say for sure what's lurking beneath. This is where your electrician comes in :)

Current Wylex (NSX?) MCB's will still fit quite happily into that board, not too sure if I'd want to try fitting an RCBO in there tho!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back