How proud should back box be from face of thermalite? (etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. I need to sink a back box into a new thermalite wall before render/skim go on. Approx. how thick will the render/skim be? (how far proud of thermalite face should I set the box?)
DSCF3355.JPG

2. What is that plastic cable protection that goes under the render called? Is it still legal? The image shows a very short length just showing at the bottom of another wall, below a socket.

Sponsored Links
16mm-ish is the 'usual' depth for wet+skim. I say usual because it can vary on the same wall. I very rarely chop in a 16mm box (unless asked).

So if you chop 10mm off the thermalite (for a 25mm box) that should be fine. But check with your plasterer.

Sponsored Links
Are you replacing an existing back- or surface box, or is this a new socket?

New thermalite inner leaf - new socket. New sockets going elsewhere in room, into conc. inner leaves.

Last edited:
There are rules?

I'm putting one socket into a new thermalite wall, and one or two more into the other original conc. block walls. The room is on the 1st floor and the room below has no ceiling yet, just the exposed joists so I'll be running the cables along the joists and then vertically up the walls to the sockets. Are there any rules about where to site cables on joists? They're 200 deep, I thought mid height would be ok?

Last edited:
That's fine. BAS is referring to concealed cables in walls.

If you're dropping down vertically to each socket that's fine.

What you cannot do is go diagonally at any point etc.

If you google 'cable safe zones' there's diagrams that will show this clearly

Hmm.. I don't even have a circuit breaker, and my fuse box is in the bathroom (it wasn't originally, but a wall was removed before I got the place, so now it is).

This extension has building regs so maybe a sparx is needed here. Presumably I can still chase out, fit back boxes, feed a few cables thru joists etc.

Last edited:
Sorry - you're building an extension?

If so, what did you say, or by default allow your LABC to assume, would be the way that you'd ensure that the electrical work would comply with Part P?

If you don't do whatever that was you may find yourself being refused a completion certificate.

Yes, the original planning application was many years ago and I since got approval for a revision to the original plans. It was started so long ago that I doubt that part P existed at the time.
Incoming mains supplies were accommodated correctly thru a box-out in the footing, but beyond that there is no mention of any electrical works on any of the paperwork from all parties involved, at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back