How should I cable these outside lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back of the house, and this pic pretty much says it all....

http://postimg.org/image/k8esulqi1/

I have repaired the render and repainted it. I have taken down the two floodlights as they were rusted and pretty much falling apart. The twin and earth cable comes from the side alley of the house, and goes into the house and to a switch.

I am replacing the two old lights with new LED flood lights, which will go in a similar or the same position. I might bring the one at the back down a bit lower. I need to follow a similar cable route, but am prepared to changethe actual cable, at least the external sections of it.

I just have no idea how to make it look good without spending a fortune? How would you do it?

Sponsored Links
Ideally, all the wiring should be run inside the house, and just drill through the wall wherever there is a fitting.

Is there a loft space?

If not, any plans to re-new the ceiling?

Should have said that's not an option. There is loft space, but the room is a bathroom that's all just been redone. Didn't think about the outside lights until it was too late.

So it's a case of something similar to the picture, but hopefully tidier! Whatever I do it will be a lot safer than the old floodlights!

Have you any plans to fit a bargeboard/faschia board on the sloping bit?

I suppose mini trunking or PVC conduit would tidy things up, though perhaps a little unsatisfactory.

Mini trunking is NOT watertight, so bear that in mind when designing what you're going to do. It doesn't matter if inside the trunking gets wet, just as long as it doesn't enter the light fittings. Probably the quickest, easiest and cheapest way of doing it - though not necessarily satisfying from an electrician's point of view. Trunking is more an indoor thing.

PVC 20 mm round conduit is reasonably watertight if you use the correct glue on each join. However, it can be difficult going from conduit to the fitting. Often a conduit box and flex gland are required to make things watertight.

Sponsored Links
There's no plans to fit fascia at the moment. Will be getting the roof sorted probably next year and will have something done then. Although I am slipping a pvc angle under the tiles go cover some gaps at the top of the render.

Would it look better coming in straight along the back wall? Rather than following the roof line?

There's no plans to fit fascia at the moment. Will be getting the roof sorted probably next year and will have something done then. Although I am slipping a pvc angle under the tiles go cover some gaps at the top of the render.

Would it look better coming in straight along the back wall? Rather than following the roof line?

Probably would be better horizontal (assuming you use a spirit level!).

This way it won't be in the way of any roofing work. Also the brickwork can be loose just under a roof, so this will help to avoid disturbing any bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back