How soon do you expect payment.

My 'petty' point is; you are prepared to pay up front, for third rate fruit & veg that's been in cold store for weeks, but if a tradesman forgets to fix one screw in an installation or job you don't pay him??!!

I can inspect the fruit and veg before I pay for it, and if I don't like it I don't take it. I can't see a tradesman's work until it has been done, then I expect to be able to inspect it.

Sponsored Links
you wouldnt buy half an apple at full price with the promise of the other half later. If you paid a tradesmen before he finished you'd end up waiting longer to get it completed if at all.

Jeez guys, your getting pedantically pathetic now.

You cannot compare going to the supermarket, being able to inspect fruit and then paying for it at the till with paying for a service that costs magnitudes more, where you don't get to inspect the goods before they are installed or any quality of work until after it has been done.

So my original statement stands.

As a CUSTOMER I would pay for the work as soon as I am satisfied with it.

There is no need to be pedantic over it, to come out with petty arguments against it. because this is the way it is.

I said nowt about a screw being out of place, about there being half apples or being able to walk out of tescos with any fruit because I am not satisfied with it (I can put it back down and leave it if not).

Richard - you are making an ass out of you but not me by assuming that I have withheld any monies because of something petty.

Some of you are the ones with double standards - I have often seen comments on here from tradesmen to posters to with hold monies until the job is done to satisfaction when someone comes on here and posts about a cowboy job.

If someone comes and does some work for me then I inspect it there & then, if the tradesman chooses to leave without payment thats upto them, if there is something wrong with it afterwards then I would get them back to correct it (unless its something petty that I can do myself) and it is crystal clear that until you have a working relationship with a tradesman, until you know them and have experience of them that until the point where you pay them the customer is in control (as it should be) and once paid they are then at liberty to never come back, to not put right substandard work etc.

If the tradesman is happy to wait for me to inspect the work, to test it etc then they can but I think that's rare, they just want to leave for home, the next job etc.

The suggestion of just paying for something without inspecting it is not even worth considering - I am sure that you wouldn't.

YOU HAVE CHIPS ON YOUR SHOULDERS - GET OVER IT!

Your forgetting what a customer is.

Go on.. tell us then.. what is the customer?

Some customers are real dipshits and not worth the hassle of working for.
So when they try to give you repeat business you make your excuses and jog on.
Being satisfied works both ways.
We worked for a guy once who made a swing for an apprentice because he busted a bag of cement by mistake. It was only because he was young and quick that he wasn't decked.
The ole git died a few weeks ago at age 77.
He was reared in south Africa and had a law degree from that country.
Expect he though it was a black he was dealing with.

Sponsored Links
Some customers are real dipshits and not worth the hassle of working for.
Then don't work for them.

What has a 77 year old guy taking a swing at someone got to do with payment? I think your mixing your conversations up here.

The OP was:
Just wondering how soon do you expect to be paid after you have completed a job.

I am a self employed roofer, I DO sub contract work for various companies and they generally pay every 2 weeks which is fine. When I work for homeowners the time until they pay varies and I wonder what others feel is reasonable.

I simply joined the conversation by giving my perspective as a customer.

Yes some of them can be bad, just as some tradesmen can be bad, customers can not pay, delay payment or be right arseholes about it.
Some Tradesmen do a good job that deserves immediate payment, some do crap jobs that require them being recalled for corrective action, some charge up front, do a crap job and clear off leaving the customer with problems that they have already paid to be sorted out.

Some customers are Black, white, pink, yellow, brown and some are even tartan coloured - the worlds different - we have different people in it with different opinions on how things are done, what quality is acceptable to them.

Again - I gave an opinion on how "I" deal with it as "a" customer, not every customer, not all those that are bad payers - JUST ME.

Can you not accept that?

Can you not accept that before I pay for something I need to be sure that I will be happy with what I am paying for.

IF that means that I withhold payment until a specific part of the job/contract is completed to a satisfactory standard then so be it - it is my right as a customer to expect to be able to do this.

yes there are going to be times when I have to pay up front, when I pay for a train journey I pay up front and can have a hell of a time. However when I pay for a tradesman to come and do some work on my property I will not pay him until I have been satisfied that what he has done is acceptable.
If that's 5 minutes or 5 weeks later - that's between me and the tradesman and how we have agreed payment. (note - I have never taken 5 weeks - its an example - the last time I used a tradesman he was paid the same day).

Its not unreasonable as a customer to expect to be able to satisfy myself that the works are of acceptable quality, done correctly and as per the agreement is it?

Or would you prefer that I just pay up front for any of carp?

FWIW - I offer 7 day payment terms on all invoices. On my contracted larger work, which in fairness is most of it now, I offer a 5% retainer which is invoiced for 90 days following completion of the practical completion of the job, this is on immediate payment terms. I also sign a payment schedule so that customers have no excuses.

On larger jobs as builders we can often take a large gamble on a customer in the early stages of a job, i've a project coming up that I will spend about 46k in 3 weeks, I won't have had an invoice presented by then, let alone paid. A big risk.

If you're running a smaller business, just be meticulous about how you present yourself, your work and your invoices. This will give your customer every faith in paying your invoice quickly. And if ever there is a problem, get your ass back there and sort it out, apart from being duty bound to anyway, it creates an excellent perception of you.

We have a customer about to write us a cheque for £100k. Which is about one quarter of the entire projects cost.
He rang us today saying the levels were out by 200mm and was panicking. Just back from his gaffe. We went straight there from another site instead of going home for the spuds.

He had used a length of sewer pipe as a straight edge to check them and then started questioning our lasers accuracy. :eek: Who are we to argue?
It was 110 mm out as we suspected when we put the laser on it. So he's well happy now.

Back