New Boiler payment when faulty

I'm assuming you mean hot water temp not heating water temp?
Yeah it’s the hot water temp that won’t go over 45°. The plumber has actually messaged and said he isn’t comfortable with me waiting for ideal to come before paying and said it’s nothing to do with him and I should be dealing with ideal so I’ll use the helpful information on this post.

Sponsored Links
Tell him to F off, its part of running a business - **** happens and it costs you ££££. This is part of the reason our charges seem high, any decent business factors in the grief!

If you reduce the flow through the tap does the temperature increase ?

Yeah it’s the hot water temp that won’t go over 45°. The plumber has actually messaged and said he isn’t comfortable with me waiting for ideal to come before paying and said it’s nothing to do with him and I should be dealing with ideal so I’ll use the helpful information on this post.

In much the same way as you comfortable with your 45degree water? If he wants paying sooner, he needs to exchange the boiler with his merchant.

Technically correct, but getting the manufacturer involved doesn't hurt.
After all they don't want bad publicity.
Bad publicity! what do they care, they don't sell boilers, they make them.
Boiler is classed as being faulty on installation, that is the only finding a court could go with.
Boiler manufacturer will then argue that it was fitting incorrectly but they don't care, its not their problem.
Simple letter before claim to plumber for money back then £50 straight to court for the full amount plus damages if they don;t refund within 7 days.
Don't forget to add the cost of removing the damaged unit....

Sponsored Links
While agreeing, I would suggest that the manufacturers don't want a reputation for faulty or unreliable boilers. I have seem manufacturer liveried vans turn up when an installer has clearly been struggling - in one such case the neat install turned into a bit of a mess by the time they'd swapped the feed and flow for the DHW on a combi. On that job, I also saw the guy gwtting a hair dryer from the van ;)

Bad publicity! what do they care, they don't sell boilers, they make them.
Boiler is classed as being faulty on installation, that is the only finding a court could go with.
Boiler manufacturer will then argue that it was fitting incorrectly but they don't care, its not their problem.
Simple letter before claim to plumber for money back then £50 straight to court for the full amount plus damages if they don;t refund within 7 days.
Don't forget to add the cost of removing the damaged unit....
Yes, that's the procedure, but as I said, it doesn't hurt to get the manufacturer involved.
Usually they exchange whatever good is faulty without much fuss.
It's true that the request must come from the plumber, he has a contract of sale with Ideal, but if he's not prepared to do anything, the op needs to inform the manufacturer that he has been given a faulty product and is not prepared to accept a repair.
Also, one of the points of the pre-action conduct and protocol is to try and avoid taking people and companies to court.
Any judge would be asking why the op didn't contact the manufacturer which could've solved the problem without getting into a court of law.
Furthermore, the op needs to consider that the plumber could be penniless and/or operating under a limited company, so any judgement could be unsatisfied and the op would end up with nothing as well as court expenses.
I would definitely get Ideal involved.

Undersized gas could cause this issue.

As an installer they should be registering the boiler and arranging the warranty call.

The boiler is working, just not quite how it should. If you factor in Xmas etc then the response time is reasonable. If it was dead out of the box I think replacement is the way to go.

Either way any decent installer would not be insisting the full payment. If you pay in full what leverage to you have if it is an installation fault.

Last edited:
The OP hasn't confirmed if the water temperature increases with lower flow rates.

Undersized gas could cause this issue.

As an installer they should be registering the boiler and arranging the warranty call.

The boiler is working, just not quite how it should. If you factor in Xmas etc then the response time is reasonable. If it was dead out of the box I think replacement is the way to go.

Either way any decent installer would not be insisting the full payment. If you pay in full what leverage to you have if it is an installation fault.
They checked for undersized gas etc and all looks fine. I agree that was why I didn’t pay for the boiler, I still paid over £1k for his time and the hive etc and had no issue with his work. Just became a bit disappointed when he is chasing for payment and asking me to deal with Ideal. I think it would have been good practice for him to arrange the call with ideal and accept that full payment would be made once the boiler is fully working. I understand it’s not a good situation for him either.

If they are coming 5 days from last Friday, I really can't see what the installers problem is.

His cashflow issues aren't your problem, he probably paid on a trade account.....or is this a cash off the books job?

If they are coming 5 days from last Friday, I really can't see what the installers problem is.

His cashflow issues aren't your problem, he probably paid on a trade account.....or is this a cash off the books job?
Yeah I agree, no it’s on the books bank transfer, I assumed it would be on his trade account and I’ve covered his time and would assume he’s got 30 days or whatever to pay.

The fact that the plumber tried to persuade you to accept a 45 degree water temperature and isn't seriously interested in getting it put right by involving the manufacturer rings some alarm bells. He clearly wants his money and out. Has he even paid the supplier for the boiler? It remains a possibility that he got the installation wrong, maybe connected to the hive settings. Either way if the manufacturers say its not them you will need an independent engineer to assess the situation, or another plumbers opinion.

Yes, that's the procedure, but as I said, it doesn't hurt to get the manufacturer involved.
Usually they exchange whatever good is faulty without much fuss.
It's true that the request must come from the plumber, he has a contract of sale with Ideal, but if he's not prepared to do anything, the op needs to inform the manufacturer that he has been given a faulty product and is not prepared to accept a repair.
Also, one of the points of the pre-action conduct and protocol is to try and avoid taking people and companies to court.
Any judge would be asking why the op didn't contact the manufacturer which could've solved the problem without getting into a court of law.
Furthermore, the op needs to consider that the plumber could be penniless and/or operating under a limited company, so any judgement could be unsatisfied and the op would end up with nothing as well as court expenses.
I would definitely get Ideal involved.
If you can show me a documented case where boiler manufacturer took on responsibility and replaced free of charge a boiler they had not supplied or fitted and I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choice. It needs to be documented, not anecdotal

If you can show me a documented case where boiler manufacturer took on responsibility and replaced free of charge a boiler they had not supplied or fitted and I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choice. It needs to be documented, not anecdotal
That's another halfwit imbecil who wants proof.
I can only suggest a route to solve the problem, not do a case study so you can have a cosy night reading it.
I'm not in the boiler business, so I don't know of any specific case, but talking in general, many companies take responsibility for their faulty products and replace/refund them.
Even expensive items.
Example: a few years ago a customer bought a Miele washing machine.
Got delivered and I fitted it.
Worked one wash and then was tripping the electric.
They replaced it, they didn't repair it.
Happy now???

Sponsored Links
Back