New Boiler payment when faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new Ideal Vogue boiler installed a couple of days ago, when doing final testing the boiler water temperature wouldn’t go above 45°, the engineer said I needed to register a warranty claim. I’ve paid for his time and parts and the hive but have withheld the payment for the boiler until the issue is resolved, ideal are coming in 5 days and as long as they cover it then I’ll pay the balance then, but if ideal try to wriggle out of the warranty then I will expect him to repair it.

Is this unreasonable on my part? He supplied the boiler. He tried saying I might not even want to bother with the warranty 45° is hot enough, but surely that’s not the point, it’s not working as it should.

Sponsored Links
From the installers perspective, he's already paid for the boiler but is not the end user so its a warranty issue. From your perspective you don't have a boiler that functions as it (presumably) should, so would be entitled to withhold all payment. It might still be be an installation/programming issue rather than a faulty boiler.

Sponsored Links
Surprised that you have paid anything given the new one isn’t working properly

Surprised that you have paid anything given the new one isn’t working properly
Well we have heating and hot water (after a month without!) and I have no problem with the installer he seems like a decent genuine bloke which is why I paid a chunk. I just don’t want ideal to come and say this or that voids the warranty. Hopefully that isn’t the case and all is resolved next week I just wanted to cover myself.

From the installers perspective, he's already paid for the boiler but is not the end user so its a warranty issue.
No, it's between him and his supplier sìnce this appears to be a latent fault. I would expect the boiler to be left in a fully working state on completion of the install and for the installer to sort any problems.
The fact that manufacturers are good at warrantee work may be convenient, but seems to be an excuse here.

Is this unreasonable on my part? He supplied the boiler. He tried saying I might not even want to bother with the warranty 45° is hot enough, but surely that’s not the point, it’s not working as it should.

Hot enough, for what exactly? Most boilers will run up to 70/80C.

He was contracted to supply a fully working system, you owe him no more until you have a fully working system. If the boiler itself is faulty, it remains his responsibility to fix it.

If there's a fault with the boiler I would insist on a full replacement from Ideal.
Why would you keep a boiler which is repaired on day 1???
Remember, you're covered by warranty as well as consumer protection legislation.
If a product is faulty when brand new, you're entitled to a replacement or full refund.
Ideal won't give you a refund because their contract of sale is with the boiler installer, but as a chain, he can get a refund and then buy another boiler.
Then he could claim his losses from Ideal.
Don't back down.
I once accepted a faulty laptop to be repaired on day one and had problems after problem with it, until I replaced it 2 years later.

If there's a fault with the boiler I would insist on a full replacement from Ideal.
Why would you keep a boiler which is repaired on day 1???
Remember, you're covered by warranty as well as consumer protection legislation.
If a product is faulty when brand new, you're entitled to a replacement or full refund.
Ideal won't give you a refund because their contract of sale is with the boiler installer, but as a chain, he can get a refund and then buy another boiler.
Then he could claim his losses from Ideal.
Don't back down.
I once accepted a faulty laptop to be repaired on day one and had problems after problem with it, until I replaced it 2 years later.
Yeah I have thought is this possible because if there are problems on day 1 is it going to be never ending. Thanks

Consumer Rights Act 2015...​

Your seller was the plumber, it's entirely his responsibility for a full cash refund. There is an exception though, if his supplier had a written agreement that they were the original seller and not the plumber, you would take it up with them.....its know as having good title...

Consumer Rights Act 2015...​

Your seller was the plumber, it's entirely his responsibility for a full cash refund. There is an exception though, if his supplier had a written agreement that they were the original seller and not the plumber, you would take it up with them.....its know as having good title...
Technically correct, but getting the manufacturer involved doesn't hurt.
After all they don't want bad publicity.

To be clear, it's not your responsibility to contact the manufacturer at this stage. You bought the goods from the installer, and your contract is with him. Legally and practically, he needs to sort it out. Warranties are for further down the line.

Sponsored Links
Back