How soon do you expect payment.

If your chip and pin is a credit card then its no big deal.
If its skimmed its the card company who loses.
So the onus is on them to make it safe method of transaction.

The only reason people will withhold payment when a reputable tradesman/builder knows they should be satisfied as the work is top notch is because they are treading the line as a dodgy customer and probably best avoided.

Sponsored Links
Our Verifone wireless chip and pin is Bluetooth. I don't know how that affects security.

Yet restaurants use them all the time?

Card Companies and banks will not divulge to the public the losses they suffer on fraudulent use of credit/bank cards.
(Using a Credit card/Debit Card is the safest way of making Money Transactions :mrgreen:)

Sponsored Links
(Using a Credit card/Debit Card is the safest way of making Money Transactions :mrgreen:)

Just credit card! If you get money taken from your debit card you are pretty much on your own!

One still has to be careful with a credit card,
Card Companies can refuse to reimburse if they think that original owner was careless with the PIN Number or password.
http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/will-your-bank-refund-stolen-money-1371.php

I expect payment immediately after the job is complete and the customer is satisfied. There is no reason not to be paid once the above criteria has been fulfilled.

Do you pay up front for all materials used, or do you have an account.
A bit of both depending upon where I shop. How does the way I pay my bills make a difference to a job being complete and the customer being satisfied?

So you are quite happy making your supplier wait for their money by having materials on account,
but you expect a customer to pay up front for everything straight away,

That's business mate.

In the 80s we worked for a Spec Builder doing the Plumbing sub-contract work, they had 3 bed semi's built, paid for & occupied in three weeks from cutting turf. Most of their suppliers gave them 90days credit, you do the maths mate.
The company was started by two hairyarsed Joiners, both of whom are now multi-millionaires. Great guys to work for, all subbies were on 45days credit & we always made serious money on their jobs.

Most Builders these days couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery - let alone make money at it!

From the customers prospective, and as a customer I expect to pay for the work once I am satisfied with it.

[, they had 3 bed semi's built, paid for & occupied in three weeks from cutting turf.

:eek: How did they achieve that? That's going some!

Two Timber Frame semi's WS can be erected, wind & watertight in a morning mate. Well coordinated tradesmen can get through a power of work in a week.
But most Site Agents & Site Managers are now rsoles.

When I am paying for a service like builder/plumber/chippy etc I do.

When I'm purchasing from tescos I pay at the point I am leaving the store (the tills) like everyone else.

What's your (rather petty) point?

The point is you pay up front without being satisfied.

I pay everyone whether satisfied or not. If the jobs up to a certain standard you don't have to be satisfied to part with the reddies.
That's my philosophy.
It's no big deal. Tight arzes and skinflints will withhold money over the slightest greviance.

When I am paying for a service like builder/plumber/chippy etc I do.

When I'm purchasing from tescos I pay at the point I am leaving the store (the tills) like everyone else.

What's your (rather petty) point?

My 'petty' point is; you are prepared to pay up front, for third rate fruit & veg that's been in cold store for weeks, but if a tradesman forgets to fix one screw in an installation or job you don't pay him??!! Double standards my friend, double standards!!!

Never give credit to a private home owner, get paid before you leave their house or don't leave their house. Take up residence until they flash the cash!!!

From the customers prospective, and as a customer I expect to pay for the work once I am satisfied with it.
I think this is a fair comment.

However, ambiguity arises when determining what is satisfactory.

There are (good) building surveyors out there who know what a satisfactory product is and these people have the information as to what is an acceptable reasonable standard.
They also accept that some customers may have O.C.D. or that the tradesman may be a wee bit shoddy. These extremes are irrelevant when determining what is an 'acceptable standard'.

A customer should be expected to pay when this acceptable standard is achieved. No excuses. This may be the instant the job is finished or when setting times or drying times have been achieved, or say when a roof has been tested etc.

Minor niggles are not a legitimate or lawful excuse to withhold payment.

Simples I think on the contract you put down when you want paying the customer signs your covered,so on day of completion no excuses from customer,it's really down to trust hopefully if they have employed you they. Must have trusted you in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Back