how to access heating controls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mitsubishi Space star..

The heating controls have stopped working. When you turn the control it sort of springs back so I cant set to windscreen or say to blow air downward.

I need to access the workings behind the knob on the dashboard.

How do I do this? Do i have to rip apart the fascia to gain access?

Sponsored Links
Some are electronically assisted, so a relay/fuse might have blown?

I know my Toyota's, but unaware of your particular model? Is it an import? Has it ever worked? Was the operation of the lever good before? Did it feel sloppy in operation?

If (as suspected), it's cable operated, then yes, it's a massive job to sort out. I had this on the heater control on a gen4 Celica, most of the dash out, possibly seats out to aid access, carpets out, everything stripped out, to fix a brake cable type fixture, and if the heater needs removing too, engine pipework removing too! It's gotta rate on a scale of 1-10, of ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!!!

A 'fix' for similar issues (ie boot or fuel flap release), was to connect the broken cable back together with 'lego block' electrical connectors? But at the minute..could be anything amiss..

Thanks for the reply, Apologies I have changed the maker from toyota to mitshubishi, my mistake we bought froma toyota dealer in our area.

It is a uk model not an import. The heating controls did work before and never felt sloppy. The fan speed side works ok its the control for the direction of the flow of air thats the issue, the one thats can be directed on to the windscreen, I could have left alone as the car would still heat up but if it rains I could have issues trying to demist the windscreen.

Thanks for the reply, Apologies I have changed the maker from toyota to mitshubishi, my mistake we bought froma toyota dealer in our area.

It is a uk model not an import. The heating controls did work before and never felt sloppy. The fan speed side works ok its the control for the direction of the flow of air thats the issue, the one thats can be directed on to the windscreen, I could have left alone as the car would still heat up but if it rains I could have issues trying to demist the windscreen.

Yeah, I've had what you are experiencing, but it was after I messed about removing the heater box. The cables get twisted (like pushbike brake cables), and make the mechanism stick, sometimes, it can be caused by a passenger kicking under the glovebox, and catching a cable with their foot by accident, which incidentally, is the best place to strip the dash down if required, as most of the dash will probably need to come out to fix it(!)

So tuck your head under the glovebox, see if you see any cables that I describe, if not, remove 2 /4 bolts holding glovebox on (beware any airbags in the area!), then after that trial and error, any cables identified, squirt with WD40, while operating heater control, and twist, try to reroute those cables at the same time.

Got to be one of the most boring, long winded and difficult jobs to sort on a car, a jamming heater control, working upside down in limited space. So good luck!

Although obviously, there might be a totally different answer, such as a lolly stick fell into the screen vent, and putting the blower on max, blows it out! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I have tried the upside down bit and cant get near the cables.

Looks like I will need to take the heater controls off to access the back.

So far I have managed to get the glove compart off and the radio out,
How do I get the black plastic console off that surrounds this area.
I cant see anything obvious and reluctant to just tug at it until I know what I am doing.

Help please. Pics below.

Pars002Medium.jpg

Back