How to achieve 20 degrees C drop between flow and return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen other people mention this topic but still not sure of the answer.

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Pro28 condensing combi boiler. Do I achieve this temperature drop between flow and return at the boiler by shutting down the lockshield valves at the radiators, or is there another way to do it? As far as I can see there is no way to adjust flow rate at the boiler itself but I may be wrong about that.

Some people seem to say it doesn't really matter what the flow / return temps are, others say it's very important. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
IMO on small domestic systems you are never going to keep a 11 deg diff for very long

double the size of your primaries and treble the size of you rads and you may get it

or dont worry about it

:)

I agree with corgiman..... don't worry about it......!

But I have always thought (don't worry... no sleepless nights) that this fact means that I a new condensing boiler is never going to achieve the +90% efficiency that the manufacturer claims.
Unless, as corgiman says, you replace all pipework and rads.

As i understand it (and in simple terms....as I like simple things)unless the flow and rtn temp differential is achieved the flue gases cannot raise the temp of the rtn so as to condense. I'm sure someone can explain that a little better.

I'm sure the manufacturer avoid all responsibility by advising that the temp differential must be maintained.

I have wondered (again not for too long) just what the efficiency of a condenser is, when it is stuck on existing system?

Any thoughts?

Mr Smyth said:
I agree with corgiman..... don't worry about it......!

But I have always thought (don't worry... no sleepless nights) that this fact means that I a new condensing boiler is never going to achieve the +90% efficiency that the manufacturer claims.
Unless, as corgiman says, you replace all pipework and rads.

As i understand it (and in simple terms....as I like simple things)unless the flow and rtn temp differential is achieved the flue gases cannot raise the temp of the rtn so as to condense. I'm sure someone can explain that a little better.

I'm sure the manufacturer avoid all responsibility by advising that the temp differential must be maintained.

I have wondered (again not for too long) just what the efficiency of a condenser is, when it is stuck on existing system?

Any thoughts?

hence why they stopped callin em "condensing" and now refer to them as "high efficiency"

;)

Sponsored Links
Balance the rads with the lockshields as best as possible. Try setting the flow temp to 60C, hopefully that will acheive the best results you can get with your system

You can increase the differential across rads by closing the lockshield.

That will increase efficiency but you havre to keep a close check on the heat output setting.

Tony

A rated boilers dont rely so much on the 55 degree return temp as increased efficiency comes from re-designed (downfired) HE and modulating fans.

How the hell you're ever meant to acheive 20 or even 11 degrees difference on a radiator style htg system confuses me 2 or 3 at max temp.

Basically if you want your boiler to 'condense' more then fit oversized rads and run the boiler at lowest temp possible

well thanks very much for all that, i guess i won't bother then. i've currently got a 1 degree C difference with the lockshields three quarters shut on all radiators. it's only a tiny flat...

So you have a 28kW boiler trying to cut itself back to heat 4kW (or so) of rads. It would have a spot of bovver!

Lock shield valves are NOT proportional !!!!!!!!!!!!!

90% of the flow is achieved when you open most for the first ONE turn!

To increase the differential you need to make all the adjustment within the first 1/4 of a turn.

As explained above a high power combi is not going to be very efficient running less than 25% of the full power on heating. People often forget that when fitting massive powered boilers to give rather unecessary shower flows.

That last paragraph is quite relevant to the efficiency as 80-90% of the gas usage is for space heating compared with DHW output.

Tony

the boiler needs to ranged down for central heating (if poss)

and with a system that small there is no way you are going to get the temp diff you are after

difalck said:
I've seen other people mention this topic but still not sure of the answer.

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Pro28 condensing combi boiler. Do I achieve this temperature drop between flow and return at the boiler by shutting down the lockshield valves at the radiators, or is there another way to do it?

1) ANCIENT HISTORY
In the old days, when I were a lad, etc., domestic heating was designed on assumptions of -1 degC outside temperature, and 82 degC flow, 71 degC return, hence the 11 degC temperature difference referred to above by Corgiman.

-1, 82 and 71 degC were used because they were nice round numbers in degrees Farenheit (30, 180 and 160).

You had to keep the return above 60 degC or you got condensation in the flue gases. The condensation, being acidic, would rust the return end out of the cast iron boiler (back end corrosion). We didn't have condensing boilers in the old days. Well, we did, but not intentionally.

2) NOW
Now, with condensing boilers, you want to make the water vapour in the flue gases condense, because then you are extracting the latent heat of condensation from the water vapour in the gases. So you've got to keep the return below 55degC for as much of the time as practical. The less-than-55degC return is the important bit. Maintaining the 20degC differential by balancing the flows is important, because an excessive flow through a radiator(s) will result in an elevated return temperature from that radiator.

3) THE PROBLEM
The problem is that now we are fitting condensing boilers, designed for 70/50 (or 60/40, or 50/30 even) onto heating systems that were designed for 82/71. The radiators won't supply their rated heat output when supplied with water at 70 degC and the rads won’t remove sufficient heat to return the water 20 degrees cooler.

4) SOLUTIONS
You could fit bigger radiators, but as an investment, it’s not very cost effective.

You could fit UFH, so the whole room floor is one huge radiator. It’s a huge PITA in an existing, occupied property, but UFH and condensing boilers are a very effective combination..

The most cost effective solution involves recognizing that the -1 degC outside temperature is a design assumption whilst applies only to the design day, the worst case.

For most of the heating season, it isn’t -1 degC outside, so you don’t need 82 degC flow. You can, for much of the year, reduce the flow temperature and so reduce the return temperatures. How do you do this?

Your boiler has a modulating burner, so it can reduce it’s flow temperature and heat output if used in conjunction with the appropriate room temperature controller. The appropriate controller would be the Vaillant VRT 360. However, you need to study the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure it is wired and set up as an analogue (0 to 100%) device. They can be wired and set up to operate as an ON/ OFF device, i.e., 28kW or 0 kW. They most often are set up as ON/OFF thermostats, usually the installers don‘t understand the controls.

The instructions for both the boiler and controller are available on the Vaillant website.

Do a search for the VRT 360 in the archives here, the question has beeen answered by Agile before.

Also a similar discussion can be found here;
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=25&threadID=52309&messageID=547371#547371

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back