how to become a plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this would be the best place to ask. If its in the wrong place dont shout :eek: lol

Within the family we rent out numerous houses, and of course DIY started from there and I have done quiet a few jobs.

The issue am having is I want to be a full time plumber doing my own work and other peoples as well of course. I DONT want to do gas but just plumbing. But you need an NVQ 2 as research shows, and "work experience" (this is the hardest bit as its very hard to find).

Daft question, can I not produce a portfolio of the jobs I have done myself?

Some of the jobs have been trial and error but most have been the reversal of "taking something out" (the common sense approach).

Jobs I have done:

Doors/door frames
Kitchen & bathrooms (sinks, taps, toilets etc etc)
Floorboards
Guttering
Tiling
Small repair jobs (locks/handles/shelves etc etc)
Can do plastering but absolutely hate it
Can even do the painting and decorating side lol

A bit about me:

24 years old, unemployed graduate in environmental health (dont fancy it anymore finally found that am a practical person!) lol and am obviously a tool lover :p

Any help appreciated

PS I have heard the "fast track" courses are a total scam...

Sponsored Links
Stick with General House Maintenance, save any course fees and make a living doing what you are already skilled at.

Plumbing & Gas is well in the doldrums at the moment, and likely to stay there for the foreseeable.... No really, it is, Migrant workers, no site work for all those who would not have touched domestic work, no readily available monies for shiny bathrooms etc have slashed incomes.

Punters reading this may smile, but, just go to any trade counter and listen to the branch managers. Its is dire out there.

I am an eternal optimist. I need to be.

Best of British to you.

DH

I can tell you how to be a "spread" take one brickie that is completely useless with a line and spirit level, remove brain completely and hey presto one plasterer.

Take any course available, if its free, even B&Q do various courses, i dont know if they are free or not, if they are do all of them, you're never to old to stop learning, when we stop learning we die, i learnt my skills on the sites in Germany and have added ever since, good luck.

But my general maintenance is now and then. Its not a regular income. The rent from the houses goes mostly towards the mortgages. Cant charge the tenants for the repairs as its mostly wear & tear.

I was hoping to speak to one of the local college lecturers but these course are 2 years long or even more.

Sponsored Links
I can tell you how to be a "spread" take one brickie that is completely useless with a line and spirit level, remove brain completely and hey presto one plasterer.

Take any course available, if its free, even B&Q do various courses, i dont know if they are free or not, if they are do all of them, you're never to old to stop learning, when we stop learning we die, i learnt my skills on the sites in Germany and have added ever since, good luck.

But dont you need "industry recognised" qualifications to do other peoples work?

Get a van and double ladder, have an advert in local paper, church magazine and advertise 'Handy Man Services' - No Job too small.

Be cheap and you will start to pick up work and more work from recommendation. Have some cards printed and hand every customer 3-4 cards.

Don't forget to get Public Liability Insurance

Andy

With the portfolio i think that's just for gas. Nvq's through college will be two years min.

The training centers are usually a rip off, expensive and not recognized in the industry.

To me the college route is the best one but you'll have to be patient., as for work in the industry don't be fooled there hasn't been a shortage for years.

Something i never bothered with, the last site i was on the gaffer came round a few times a day, those that didn't make the grade were thrown off the site, i know its different now, but if you are good at building work find a niche, ALWAYS KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS, if you're fitting a kitchen get a sparky in, try and build up your contacts, dont turn work down, if a punter wants a combi fitted, find a gas man that you can work with, i learnt a hell of a lot working with a sparky, i did all the graft and he showed me how to run in the cables etc. but i cant use my knowledge on my tod, i need to work with a qualified person.

For general plumbing you dont "need" any formal quals or bits of paper. My mum could advertise as plumber tomoro if she fancied :D

Advertise as general maintenance and inc plumbing in your ads.

hold on a sec, I thought you had to be NVQ level 2 minimum "qualified"?? :eek: and you can only do NVQ lvl 2 "on the job" with a qualified plumber?

Only thing is I dont want to be screwed over because I always done things the right way (how I always been taught) than the wrong way even though it may be a longer process.

Without the quals could I do pipe work? Or a straight swap of an electric shower?

Just to add to the "fast trackies" I enquired a few years ago, and the chap was so persistant on the phone saying "when can we send an advisor down, have you made your mind up, do you want to do it? We can put finance in place or it can be free etc etc" he only backed off because I told him to do one the harsh way!

Sponsored Links
Back