How to cable for 3 Gang Switches linked in three positions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my loft conversion bedroom i have 2 no over bed wall lights and the main bedroom light, 3 individual lights total. I would like to be able to switch each light on/off from R/H bedside L/H bedside and at the door to the bedroom from a 3 Gang switch at each position.

My question is what cables do i need to pull to each position for this to work and how would they be connected in each switch.

Sponsored Links
Are you wanting to be able to turn the L/H bedside light off from the R/H side of bed and visa versa ?
and the main light from both sides of bed?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:intermediate
This part of wiki gives an indication of the wiring necessary for managing one of your lights from three different points. You will need to replicate this with each of the three gang switches and some more - so it is going to be complicated.

Is there a specific reason why you want the lights to operate in this way?
Surely it would be easier just to have the main light operating as a two way at say the door and by the bed with the bedside lights operated as per normal.

Sponsored Links
These lights are existing, yes?

If so, can you describe what switching arrangement exists at the moment. The cabling will depend on what is there already.

no this is a new installation on bare 1st fix

So you have Building Regulations approval.

When you applied how did you say you would comply with P1. If you said "registered electrician" then he is the guy who should know the answers.

But per the aboove, you'll need to wire three separate 3-way circuits, one 3-gang switch will need to be all intermediates and grid is probably the only solution there.

So you have Building Regulations approval.

When you applied how did you say you would comply with P1. If you said "registered electrician" then he is the guy who should know the answers.

But per the aboove, you'll need to wire three separate 3-way circuits, one 3-gang switch will need to be all intermediates and grid is probably the only solution there.

if he was avaible i would ring him thats why im asking this question.

Then why is the electrician not available at this stage?

If it's just because of a scheduled holiday, or slightly extended Xmas/NY break then you'll just have to wait.

The electrician will be signing documents to say that he did all of the work, and that includes all the design and all of the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back