How to cable for 3 Gang Switches linked in three positions.

In my loft conversion bedroom i have 2 no over bed wall lights and the main bedroom light, 3 individual lights total. I would like to be able to switch each light on/off from R/H bedside L/H bedside and at the door to the bedroom from a 3 Gang switch at each position.

My question is what cables do i need to pull to each position for this to work and how would they be connected in each switch.

No reason why you can't, or shouldn't, but it's absolute overkill in my opinion.

I would be inclined just to have the main light switched from three positions, and each wall light switched with it's own one way switch on the appropriate side of the bed. This would be a 2 gang switch either side of the bed, and an intermediate 1 gang at the door position.

Still, it's entirely up to you, and none of my business.

Whatever do you want all those switches for? Are you a control freak? Do you plunge the wife into total darkness whilst she's reading (etc)?

Like I said, it's nothing to do with me, and it's your decision.

You will probably want dimmer switches whilst you're at it (or whatever you do in bed).
Be sure to fit the intermediate switches where you are least likely to want a dimmer switch. They make 2 way dimmers, but not intermediate dimmers. I expect you will ensure each wall light can have a dimmer nearest to it. Which leaves the decision of where to put the dimmer for the main light (your side of the bed perhaps?)

Sponsored Links
One way of doing it would be as follows:

Have your intermediate switches by the door - you could have 3 one-gang / 1 two-gang and 1 one-gang or, as suggested, a three-gang grid switch.........the cabling will be the same either way.

You then want a three-gang, two way switch either side of the bed.

I'd then run the following:

One T&E feed (L&N) to each light (normal loop in) [3 cables]

One T&E cable from each light to it's own intermdiate switch. [3 cables]

One T&E cable from each intermediate switch to one of the bedside switches (either side will do) [3 cables]

One 3-core & E cable from each two way switch on one side of the bed to connect to it's opposite number on the other side of the bed. [3 cables]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back