How to change the Battery of this Smoke Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My smoke / fire alarm has been beeping over the last day & I assume that this means that I need to change the battery. It looks like there is a battery compartment which I need to pull out to replace the battery, but it seems to be stuck & I can't pull it out. I tried to Google it, but it's an old alarm & there is no indication of the make or model. I’ve attached some pics of the alarm. Does anyone know how I can replace the battery on this? I noticed that there is a “key slot” above the battery compartment. Is this of any relevance? Note that I don't have any “keys.”

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ducky
IMG-20191104-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20191104-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20191104-WA0004.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have seen similar ones that need a small screwdriver inserted in a slot to release the drawer. Some lift a tab up some down or some just pushing in is enough.
Looks like a likely slot above the drawer on yours(y)

Thanks footprints. I'll try that out tonight and report back

So I managed to figure it out. I had to twist the alarm until it detaches from its base, then press a large flap down with a screwdriver & then the battery case comes out. Strange because it is hardwired as well. Either way, opening it up exposed the brand & model of the alarm & it turns out that its from 1999, which is when the building that I live in was constructed (model NL3602). There isn't any literature for this model online. The alarm still appears to be working (I pressed the test button & it seems fine) but I think I should probably change the entire alarm given that it is 20 years old.

Sponsored Links
Glad you solved the puzzle! Certainly a good idea to replace after that long, are you in a flat? If so there might be a management company that maintains them. Might be worth posting again asking for suitable replacement for the model now you have details it might get picked up by a sparks who deals with them.

Hi Ducky, my smoke detector has been beeping away last few days so think it needs a battery replacement. It looks the same as yours. I don't have a key for key slot and can't figure out how to remove the battery carriage. Please can you let me know exactly how you managed to do it? TIA
20200730_163610.jpg
20200731_095350.jpg

Hi, I did manage to get it done after a considerable amount of trial and error. If I remember right, you need to twist the main unit until it detaches from the ceiling mount. After that you will see a flap where the battery casing is, which you need to push up (I used a screwdriver to push it up). Then pull out the battery casing and replace the battery.

Hope that helps. Note that I did this a long time ago so my instructions might not be exact, but it should get the job done.

Hope it works out.:)

FWIW, screwdriver did not help. Wiggle the battery drawer tab up and down while pulling it out. It will release. This worked on two units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back