How to cut a white porcelain bathroom pedestal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there to all you good folks again.

As I am tiling the floor of my bathroom, the porcelain ceramic pedestal to the sink will be too long to fit in its' proper position.

Can anyone tell me, if it is possible to cut a ceramic pedestal, with a stone cutting grinder, without causing damage to the pedestal.
I have cut many materials in the past with such a grinder, including floor tiles, but have never attempted to cut a pocelain ceramic pedestal.

Many thanks to all who offer advice.

Sponsored Links
Porcelain and ceramic are different materials. I would advise against it, you'll probably end up shattering it or will crack the glaze and look rubbish.

Adjust the floor tiles/walls to suit, or buy another pedestal that fits the space, or move to where it can be installed without any grief.

There's no hope of doing it. Don't even try.

Sponsored Links
tile round it best option

i would say taking the whb and ped out, tile the floor and alter the pipework to suit would be the best option, it will leave a much cleaner look where the ped meets the tile
I agree with kirkgas on this one. Replumbing it shouuldn't be too difficult if you use flexis and an adjustable wastetrap if there's no play available in the current pipework and you're not confident of dealing with plumbing too much. Bit of a pity if you've put a splashback up already, but it shouldn't be too hard to remove and rectify their current placement.

true if the op has the necessary skills or time to call in a plumber
Think it's easier to shift a basin than cut accurate curves in floor tiles. No offence intended - just difference of opinion.

i agree with yous ;) but if the sink is flush to the wall and it has a tiled splash back then its going to be a bit of work involved but it would give it a 100 % better finish to raise the sink

i agree with yous ;) but if the sink is flush to the wall and it has a tiled splash back then its going to be a bit of work involved but it would give it a 100 % better finish to raise the sink
At least we've given the op alternatives and reasons for them.

i personally would lift the sink, tile underneath, if your not that good with the old grinder for cutting the tiles then it looks dogsh*t wonky cuts round the ped, yes it may be a pain in the a*s moving the sink slightly and if youve got a splash there too shifting that a bit too, but if your doing it for a customer its time youll get paid for and if its for yourself youll be happier in the long run.

And let's not forget that if the op (whoever and wherever he or she may be) cuts the floor tiles, then this is potentially a weak spot with regard to water ingress. ;)

Indeed, let us further not forget to advise the op that since many pedestals have hollows within them as they aren't thick and solid walled, then cutting with an angle grinder is more than likely going to make the thing fall apart! :rolleyes: :)

Many, Many thanks to you all for your helpful information. Due to the fact that it appears impossible to cut the pedestal, I have taken a different approach.
I have welded together a framework, which I have painted white, to match the basin, and have firmly fastened it to the bathroom wall, which is an exterior wall, to hold the basin in position, as the pedestal would have done. I am now boxing in the framework and piping, thereby leaving the bathroom floor, perfectly clear to tile.
Many thanks again to you all.

Many, Many thanks to you all for your helpful information. Due to the fact that it appears impossible to cut the pedestal, I have taken a different approach.
I have welded together a framework, which I have painted white, to match the basin, and have firmly fastened it to the bathroom wall, which is an exterior wall, to hold the basin in position, as the pedestal would have done. I am now boxing in the framework and piping, thereby leaving the bathroom floor, perfectly clear to tile.
Many thanks again to you all.

before you box it in would we be able to have a pic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back