How to dim light without using a dimmer

A second lamp is a poor solution, due to the wasted heat, and the fact that when the second lamp fails, the main one won't work either.

The transformer option is far better. For only one lamp, something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290731681595 would be adequate.
Thanks. How do I connect it? I'm guessing but do i connect the live wire (previously connected tot he lamp) in to the live main socket pin (plugged to the transformer), connect the neutral wire from the socket to the lamp live terminal and the light neutral goes stay as is. Is that totally wrong?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Won't there be mains hum from any inductive load such as a transformer?

Sponsored Links
Dont dimmers do horrible chopping up of the waveform?

A transformer would be less noisy i'd have thaught.

Any amplifier i've ever seen has a big transformer inside for the main power supply, so they cant be that bad!

Thanks. How do I connect it? I'm guessing but do i connect the live wire (previously connected tot he lamp) in to the live main socket pin (plugged to the transformer), connect the neutral wire from the socket to the lamp live terminal and the light neutral goes stay as is

If you wanted to use that specific item, a single unswitched socket would be fitted to the lighting circuit, that transformer plugged into it, and the new lamp plugged in via the socket on the front (a 2 pin US one, but the plugs are readily available).

Or a bare transformer could be obtained, placed into a suitable enclosure and the wiring permanently connected.

Either way, given your comment about connecting, it is something you would not be doing yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back