How to dispose of old tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I have a heatgun that no longer works. It is a very old heat gun and I think it has now expired. Though what is the proper practice of throwing away old electrical tools? Surely its not something you throw in the household waste is it?

Sponsored Links
Hey all, I have a heatgun that no longer works. It is a very old heat gun and I think it has now expired. Though what is the proper practice of throwing away old electrical tools? Surely its not something you throw in the household waste is it?
Dig a 6m deep hole and encase 'waste product' in 1m thick reinforced concrete.

Your local tip will have a recycling point for small and large appliances. Some one, somewhere, will pull it to pieces and the copper may get re-used.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Your local tip will have a recycling point for small and large appliances. Some one, somewhere, will pull it to pieces and the copper may get re-used.

Nozzle
....and the tip may charge you £3. And they may not take cash.

I heard some tips now stop taking things like this. I'm not sure if there is a tip near me though seems like the only option. I wonder if any stores offer to take this stuff?

Some local authorities take small electricals in the recycling box, some don't.

Or you could dismantle it yourself for bits.

Have a look at your local authority web site. My local (Rhondda Cynon Taf) have 7 sites where you can drop off anything from a toaster to a fridge/freezer.

eBay
Seriously I've put small job lots of broken tools on eBay and sold them. Just describe them accurately , spares or repairs and list the faults.

some good answers folks. My dad would probably lob it in the bin :D eBay or Freecycle are good options too, though I really can't think why anyone would want an old busted heart in covered in paint, can buy a new one for £20. I might just have to make a trip to the council office where they recycle there.

Sponsored Links
Back