how to do own drawings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,i applied to glasgow council for a building warrant for infilling doorway with blocks & putting in a small window at the top,fitting a cloackroom toilet behind infill, i was wrongly informed that i could do the drawings myself on A4, they were rejected, my question is do i have to fork out for an architect to do them, or is it possible to do them myself with software and them be accepted, and if so how would i get it onto the proper scale of paper,perhaps somone knows a few sites that will help me do the drawings

Sponsored Links
Why were they rejected? Plenty of people submit their own drawings, as long as they are to scale, are legible and don't look like they've been drawn by a 3 year old they should be accepted. To draw them to scale you should get yourself a 'scale rule'.

i put a lot of work into them, & gave as much information as possible but they just showed me examples which were bigger than my A4s & had more details on them,
maybe glasgow are more strict than others

I did mine using Visio. The most important thing is that they need to be to the scale specified, and each sheet should have a date, scale, version, filename, direction of north (or is that just for planning permission...)

Obviously they need to show the required level of detail too - so show wall cross sections with cavities rather than just single lines.

Can you scan/post what you submitted and we'll give you feedback?

Edited to say - mine were pretty much as you see here, but I've cropped them down for use on this forum:

(plus some floor plan diagrams, drainage, etc.)

Gary

Sponsored Links
A4 does sound a bit small given the level of detail required. My LABC's requirements were:

Two copies of this notice should be completed and submitted
with 2 copies of the following:

A block plan (scale at least 1:1250) showing:
§ The size and position of the building, or the building as
extended, and it’s relationship to adjoining boundaries;
§ Provision for the drainage of the building or extension;
§ Location and type of all trees within 30m of the proposal;

Plans and sections with detailed specifications of proposed
and existing defining the proposed work, to a scale of at least
1:100 and 1:50

garyo,that sounds i bit complicated for me, i would need to see some examples, just wish glasgow council could have gave me something to go on,

A4 does sound a bit small given the level of detail required. My LABC's requirements were:

Two copies of this notice should be completed and submitted
with 2 copies of the following:

A block plan (scale at least 1:1250) showing:
§ The size and position of the building, or the building as
extended, and it’s relationship to adjoining boundaries;
§ Provision for the drainage of the building or extension;
§ Location and type of all trees within 30m of the proposal;

Plans and sections with detailed specifications of proposed
and existing defining the proposed work, to a scale of at least
1:100 and 1:50

garyo most of that is required for planning not for building regs. For a bare bones application you'd normally just need a plan, elevations and a section and notes on the drawings the size shouldn't be an issue.

As mentioned already, what is the reason they rejected the drawings? If you don't know you will need to find out. Scan your drawings and do a show and tell on here.

If you're submitting a Building Notice application (under Building Regulations), then you can sometimes get away with the bear minimum... depending on the works involved.

So long as they understand what you are proposing, so make sure you describe stuff fully with lots of dimensions and at least one section showing foundations/floor/roof or whatever yours doing..

Here in Norfolk, I've had no problems obtaining planning approval on A4 drawings done using Visio.

what can i do if he's not happy with A4,what are the bigger sizes called anyway,

The next (bigger) size up will be A3. Just for your information...

A4 (210 x 297mm)
A3 (297 x 420mm)
A2 (420 x 594mm)
A1 (594 x 841mm)
A0 (841 x 1189mm)

As others have said, it may depend whether you're submitting a building notice, and then building the structure at your own risk, or whether you're submitting a 'full plans' application, which means you're asking the BCO to inspect and approve your detailed drawings. In order to to the latter the BCO needs to consider the details of all aspects of the build - thermal, drainage, ventilation, damp, eletrical, etc.

Gary

garyo most of that is required for planning not for building regs. For a bare bones application you'd normally just need a plan, elevations and a section and notes on the drawings the size shouldn't be an issue.

Hi Freddy,

I've submitted a full plans application on the basis that I don't really know what I'm doing. My BCO picked over it, and after a few phone calls, a few posts on here, and some revisions, my plans were finally approved. It was a useful process for me to go through - I'd certainly rather do it that way around then for him to turn up and look at something I'd already built and ask me to change it!

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to just submit a building notice and kick off the build!

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back