how to do own drawings

HI garyo, please don't be offended, no offence was ever intended and a full plans application is always to be recommended rather than a notice, I am merely pointing out to the OP that one would not normally need to provide the following for Building Regs.

A block plan (scale at least 1:1250) showing:
§ The size and position of the building, or the building as
extended, and it’s relationship to adjoining boundaries;
§ Location and type of all trees within 30m of the proposal;

unless the boundary or trees are relevant to the application.

Sponsored Links
There are no rules in England on paper size - the only stipulation is that the drawing must be done to an appropriate scale, which does sometimes determine the paper size. I can't imagine Scotland is different.

I did not do plans to scale,which scale do i need to use for this type of job

Sponsored Links
doing plans to scale were never mentioned,only size of plans,but so many of you have mentioned drawing to scale,so it looks like i'll do it over again to plan & see how i get on,
thanks to everyone who replied

A plan & elevations at 1:50 will be good, a section at 1:20 should be acceptable. You need to show existing and proposed, otherwise how does inspector chappie know what the application is for. :idea:

doing plans to scale were never mentioned,only size of plans,
The guidelines don't specify size of drawings but A4 is the minimum & you couldn't realistically produce any meaningful drawings smaller than that. The scale is specified both for the overall site plan, detail plan & elevation drawings.

Hi Freddie - no offence taken - and I didn't mean to come over particularly defensive either :)

I'd pasted that list from the Wokingham council Building regs application form, so assumed it was the done thing nationwide? This is the chap, in fact - top of page 2 : http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/EasySit...ssetID=46212&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

The original poster should find the equivalent list from his local authority. Maybe you need to use tartan ink or something.[/quote]

Out of interest what is the likely consequences if someone was "brave enough" to kick off the build using a building notice and got something minor wrong? Do they usually just refuse signing it off and issuing some sort of cert, or do they insist things are changed? Or perhaps it's all dependent on the local building control department and their mood on the day?

I'm referring to minor things here, as opposed to anything hugely dangerous. Local building control have suggested a building control notice for our downstairs shower room idea, but I'm also wondering whether do go as far as getting drawings approved first.

For small projects maybe a building notice will do.

It is only when putting out jobs to tender that an accurate drawing becomes really important.

I have always suggested to customers, either have a drawing or a specific written schedule of works then all parties are aware of what they are being quoted for and what is being done for the money.

I really do not like purely verbal descriptions of jobs as it often ends up with a falling out or a misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

Out of interest what is the likely consequences if someone was "brave enough" to kick off the build using a building notice and got something minor wrong? Do they usually just refuse signing it off and issuing some sort of cert, or do they insist things are changed? Or perhaps it's all dependent on the local building control department and their mood on the day?
You can start any building works after giving 48 hours notice but, in theory at least, you still have to comply with planning & Building Regs; if you don't, or fail to get approval, you will (should) have to pull it all down.

“Settlers” do it all the time & always over a long bank holiday weekend; submit the notice at 3pm on Thursday & by the time LABC get back to work on Tuesday, go & have a look on Friday, have a few meetings & think about a prohibition notice sometime in the next month, it’s all done & dusted; the site is built up & running with fortress walls to suit! Then starts the years & years & years of enforcement notice (at tax payers expense) & appeals which, with “travelers”, is a political time bomb anyway. There are many sites (particularly in Essex where I used to live) that are still standing after 20 odd years of being declared illegal with still no sign of enforcement! It's their "Human Rights" that allows them to get away with it but I don’t understand why they don't have to comply with the same rules as the rest of us :evil:

Perhaps it's the crossed shotguns on the wrought iron gates that does it :LOL:

....in reality, they're not going to say "your wall is 5mm too short, pull the whole lot down!" are they? :eek: lol

Hope not :eek: lol
No but that's' trivial, within the bounds of normal building tolerance & has nothig to do with complying with Building Regulations. You don't need drawings for a Building Notice submission for your shower room "idea" but be warned to treat it lightly as "hope not" could bite you seriously on the arse when you come to sell. A property with unauthorised Building Works (& it's easy to spot) will present a problem with your buyer &, more importantly, their mortgage company as they will probably not advance the cash on a property with unauthorised Building works;

as opposed to travelers where the "sell on" situation is never going to arise anyway! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back