How to extend phone charger cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to extend the cable between a mains charger for a portable router and the router itself.

I want to keep the weight and bulk down so don't really want to have to lug a 13amp extension lead around so wondered whether I could cut the cable and splice in an extra length or would this create a power loss problem, bearing in mind the power unit output is only 5.0 v and 600mA?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The problem is you don't know how much volt drop was allowed for in the design and how much of that volt drop budget is already being used up by the existing cable. So you can't calculate how much more wire you can get away with.

I wouldn't expect an extra meter or two to be a problem with moderately sized wire (say 0.5mm) but beyond that you are getting into very dubious territoriy.

DC power lead plugs and sockets are available are available from the likes of Maplin
l43ay.jpg
jk11_jk12n.jpg

As is appropriate flex, so you could make up your own extension lead
They even do solderless versions.

Note the myriad of different sizes available, so you need to be sure exactly what size your plug is.

TicklyT

Thanks - but I've figured out how to extend the cable, I'm concerned about the possible loss of power over an extended length of cable and even over-heating.

Sponsored Links
Sorted. Have made up a lightweight extension lead - clearly marked 3 amp max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back