How to find a lighting fault?

I do not doubt you, but can you explain how to do it? (pretty please). As I said, I am not an electrician, in the job that I mentioned, I thought it easier to go as basic as possible. BTW, in the case I outlined with the live in a back box bridging the metal back box, would that have made a difference?

Thinks how you would solve it if there were several miles between one end and the other.

Simple - replace your lengthened probe lead, by substituting the earth terminals which are available close to all your test points throughout the house.

Connect the two probes of your continuity meter, one to the local earth, one to the wire you want to check. At the other location, connect your wire to earth. You may need to connect and disconnect a couple of times, to be sure you have the correct wire - If the meter has a continuity buzzer, it makes it even easier to confirm..

Sponsored Links
My first test would be to measure the voltage between the 2 reds and flick switches. it should be 230V at some time.
Without a meter i'd link the 2 reds, either with a link wire (shown purple) or move the single red into the choc bloc. Either should put the light on when power is restored. If that doesn't happen thenthe fault is not in the switches.
1664146118868.png

Sponsored Links
The next check is to move the brown in the ceiing rose:
1664146491564.png

That should put the light on when power is restored. If not you eoither have no power coming to the rose ore you have a faulty bulbholder or bulb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back