How to finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had some nice oak stairs fitted but I am at a loss how to finish the end string.

The string closest the wall does not have a newel post and butts up the wall. I've attached two photos to show one without any skirting and the other with a small section. On the skirting I've put a return mitre to finish it when you look down.

I am not sure if there is anything I can do other than trim the end of the string to its flush with the skirting.

Any ideas or suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
It looks as though the stringer comes further into the hall than the skirting but whilst you may not be able to change that, you should still be able to cut / sand down the top point on that stringer so that it meets the skirting in a neater junction.

Not sure I've been clear with that!?

I think so!
There is a gap down the wall which I will get some oak quadrant to run down. The skirting board will be higher than the finished string after cutting to line up. Because of the gap Its likely I may see a small bit of the back of the skirting board but I am hoping the quadrant may cover this cap. I've added a photo which may make that clearer!

Those pics are a bit better, I'd be inclined to trim the stringer down to about the height of the top base of the torus moulding (the top of the flat portion of the skirting) and then, if possible, fit the skirting so that the board is flush up against the stringer.

Sponsored Links
don't cut too far back this is holding your stair up fit skirting and cut back to that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back