How to fit a wrought iron juliette balcony?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit something very similar to

www.ironworks-crawley.co.uk/images/jul…

to the brick work at the back of my house. I really don't know what type and type of the 6 Rawl bolts I need.

Does it need to sit in the brick or past it and open between the 2 rows of bricks? or would say http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawlbolts-m10-x-75mm-pack-of-5/88686

I also plan to hang (support) my decking using 2x6 timbers attached to the wall with Rawl bolts, and I'm not sure of the sizes for this either. The raising decking is 29ft long and 12ft deep.

Sorry for all the question, I'm honestly OK at DIY but tricky when using new stuff.

Here is a pic of the the Juliette doors.

103_0587.jpg

And the area to be decked.

103_0585.jpg

this is the plan I have with 8 x 100 x 100 post cermented into the ground with 1.5m centers.

decking.jpg

Then 30 2 x 6 timbers to support the decking itself.

Do you think that will be strong enough to support this 450mm off the ground?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The fixing of these and other balconies is currently a point of concern in the industry, after frequent failings

The type of fixing, numbers, type of wall and fixing location needs to be carefully considered

Self-tapping bolts should be avoided, I can tell you that much

Get some proper [paid for] design advice.

Hey Woodsplit, how would you say fix a JB whereby the bricks are perf's?

In the bed joints?

What would be your fixing of choice?

I bet it is even more of a chore fixing to a rendered wall.....innit?

so what would be standard Woody - rawl bolts as previously mentioned, and what size would be correct?

If each potential fixing may be poor, then there would need to be more fixings to compensate or chemical fixings (injection mortar for large voids)

Fixing to mortar, even bed joints is always a bit of a no-no. As is close to reveals or close to the brick edges even

Perhaps bigger wider plates to space fixings out a bit?

Render is not a problem as long as londer fixings are used

I don't think you can beat expansion bolts with a wedge to open the sleeve

The point is, the load from the balcony needs to be considered along with the type of masonry, and there needs to be enough fixings of a suitable type

I would tell whoever you get to supply the balcony what type of masonry you have, and give them dimensions of the opening, and get them to specify a fixing. Ideally they should come out and view the site

This puts the risk on them

Reliance on single fixings, and ones close to the reveal edge as in that curved balcony you linked to, should normally be avoided

I would be tempted for look for a plate mounted to the wall, and the balcony bolted onto that. the plate could have plenty of fixings, preferably well away from the brick edges. I would be thinking about bolts going through the wall with the heads (or nuts) plastered over inside, or even dowels as the loading will be almost exclusively downwards so no pull-out force.

The fixing of these and other balconies is currently a point of concern in the industry, after frequent failings

The type of fixing, numbers, type of wall and fixing location needs to be carefully considered

:rolleyes:

I have a whole floor held up with these self tapping bolts.

:rolleyes:

I have a whole floor held up with these self tapping bolts.

In the case of a floor there is no force attempting to pull the bolts "out" of their hole, you'd need to shear them.

A balcony on the other hand will pull the bolts out the same way they went in as it can rotate, since it's only supported at one end. Your floor would have to be a mesanine supported on one side only to be comparable.

Would it not be best to use shield anchors? Or go all the way through the brick for total peace of mind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back