How to fit off-mains basin and toilet in non-integrated garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wife is thinking of setting up a childminding business in our converted garage at the end of the garden, miles from the water and sewage mains. The law says we need to have a sink and toilet on hand for the children to use, but apparently these don't need to be mains-connected. I'm looking for suggestions on how we can achieve this. I think the toilet requirement can be met by something like this:
http://www.thetford-europe.com/product-category/toilets/cassette-toilets/

...but I'm less sure about the basin part of it. From a user experience point of view, all we need is a basic cold water tap and a basin. Can we simply put a water tank up near the ceiling and have a tube running down to the tap, and then have the basin drain into a water-butt? We would fill the tank using the garden hose each morning, and empty the water butt each evening into a basin in the house.

Or do ready-made solutions exist for this?

Sponsored Links
What distance from the house is the building? I would just do it properly - presumably you're likely to need electricity there too for heating so will have to dig a trench anyway?

Actually we have electricity already. To connect to the water/sewage mains we'd need to rip up 25 metres of patio and flagstones, all at a cost of £10k (confirmed by trusted builder and architect). I may do that at some point, but not now. The wife isn't sure if she wants to do the childminding in the long term.

I have seen some documents stating that there has to be a hand basin with hot water available, but whether this applies in your case I'm not sure. Perhaps this will be dictated by your local authority when/if you need to notify them of the intended repurpose of the garage? Assuming you have also considered if this is allowed by your mortgage provider (if you have one) and in the deeds of the property etc..

If you can get a hose to the garage then you might be better off plumbing in a permanent water feed / drainage as this will give you plenty more options and probably more hygienic facilities that you don't have to fill up and drain every day. How was you planning to empty the water butt? Is the garage higher/lower or the same level as the house?

Do you have a boundary wall/fence that perhaps you could run the water feed/drainage on rather than digging anything up?

Sponsored Links
All very sensible thoughts (with the possible exception of the wife one!) but they have all been considered already, and I don't want to bore you with the details. We would empty the water butt by pouring it into the sink. The toilet and sink will be hardly used so this is not much of a chore. At this point I really just want to know about the system I was asking about, i.e. will there be enough water beyond a dribble? Is there anything else I haven't thought of with setting up such a system? Do ready-made systems exist already? etc, etc

I presume you are used to emptying a cassette toilet. Not my cup of tea tbh and not sure building regs would allow a cassette toilet.

Not sure that public health would agree with a garden hose as a water supply either

If you have a toilet then you need hand washing facilities - including hot water. Water must be supplied with via TMV (usually max. blended temp. 42°C where small children are users).

I can't see you getting the appropriate licence without proper facilities.

Stored water will lead to issues with Legionella audits.

Actually the regs for childminding premises are not at all onerous - the wife is a former nursery teacher so is well acquainted. The local council are so desperate for childcare around here that they actually sent someone around to try to persuade her to start a childminding business. Anyway, I think we'll go with the the portable sink/toilet options to start, and when the wife is earning more £££ than she knows what to do with, we might tear up the patio and lay down proper mains connections. Thanks for all the replies.

Actually the regs for childminding premises are not at all onerous
That may be, but how many parents will want to leave their children at a facility where the sanitary facilities consist of a chemical toilet and a waterbutt?

The wife isn't sure if she wants to do the childminding in the long term.
Short term lease on business premises elsewhere which already have proper plumbing. Then decide whether to continue, convert garage, give up or whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back