How to fix a broken kitchen cabinet hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help, a week ago one of the hinges on my kitchen cabinet door has come loose. The two holes that the screws go in to have become really loose. I tried filling the holes over the weekend with some everbuild wood filler and let it set for 24 hours. I then tried to reinsert the screws but the wood filler just started to crack and come out. I'm not really not sure what to do now if anyone can advise that would be really helpful.

I did also try using a hinge repair plate that I brought off eBay but that didn't work either.

IMG_1586.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you get some fatter screws?

I don't think that would make a difference because when i tried putting the screws back in after filling it with wood filler it just started to crack and come out so am not what difference a bigger screw is going to make.

I did use everbuild wood filler initially so am just wondering if there is something more stronger out there that i can use that's strong enough to hold the screws once it's dried.

Why didn't the repair plate work?

Show the screws you used, and the size of the drill you used for your pilot holes.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of trying some JB Weld Kwikwood as that's an epoxy and i don't think the everbuild wood filler that i used is. It also says it's suitable for drilling etc. I just need something that is strong enough once it's dried to hole the screws in place without it coming loose again!

Drill the holes out to a size you can buy wooden dowels in, glue dowels into the holes, trim flush and screw into the dowels.

Reactions: CBW
What’s the other side of the unit side panel?

Thanks for replies guys, I've just been speaking with everbuild and they've recommended using there 2 part high performance wood filler, it's suppose to much stronger then there normal wood filler and you can drill and screw in to it.

They have recommended drilling a pilot hole first but i haven't got a drill at present. I was wondering if a self drilling screw would be suitable to use as an alternative to drilling a pilot hole?

Thanks

Drill the holes out to a size you can buy wooden dowels in, glue dowels into the holes, trim flush and screw into the dowels.

In the past, I have have done the same thing to great effect.

I drilled the holes out to 6mm or 8mm and glued in wooden dowels. I then used a flush cut saw to cut the excess dowel away.

I use a slightly undersized pilot drill because I don't want to have to wait for the glue to set fully. It results in the dowel expanding slightly.

Thanks for replies guys, I've just been speaking with everbuild and they've recommended using there 2 part high performance wood filler, it's suppose to much stronger then there normal wood filler and you can drill and screw in to it.

They have recommended drilling a pilot hole first but i haven't got a drill at present. I was wondering if a self drilling screw would be suitable to use as an alternative to drilling a pilot hole?

Thanks

Ain't gonna work. At least, it is unlikely to.

When you use 2 part fillers, unless they are expensive epoxy resins, the filler will crack as you try to screw in to it.

You mention self drilling screws, I guess that you mean ones that drill a whole first. Those screw are designed to be used with a drill.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time with fillers.

I use a lot of different Everbuild products but I disagree with the advice that you were given.

Ain't gonna work. At least, it is unlikely to.

When you use 2 part fillers, unless they are expensive epoxy resins, the filler will crack as you try to screw in to it.

You mention self drilling screws, I guess that you mean ones that drill a whole first. Those screw are designed to be used with a drill.

In my opinion, you are wasting your time with fillers.

I use a lot of different Everbuild products but I disagree with the advice that you were given.

So what's your alternative advice then?

So what's your alternative advice then?
I had success using chemical anchors. These are less brittle than 2 part wood fillers and more plastiky. If a hole size matching the screw shaft is drilled into it, you will be able to screw into it. I haven't read your thread to know what you are trying to do.

They have recommended drilling a pilot hole first but i haven't got a drill at present.

That's the reason it didn't work. Stop wasting your time with fillers. A drill, the correct screw, and your mending plates will do the job.

If cost is the problem, a cheap one from Aldi, Lidl or Wilko will do. If buying cheap, a mains powered one may be better value, because with cordless you also have to pay for a charger and batteries.

Please show us the screws you have.

? Is the cost a problem?

I've been having a look for you and the cheapest that would do the job is about £35

For £50 and up there are some that will be handy for a lot of small DIY jobs, including drilling into walls for shelves.

For drilling into concrete lintels for curtain rails, you will need a bit more.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back