How to fix a broken kitchen cabinet hinge

Sponsored Links
That's the reason it didn't work. Stop wasting your time with fillers. A drill, the correct screw, and your mending plates will do the job.

If cost is the problem, a cheap one from Aldi, Lidl or Wilko will do. If buying cheap, a mains powered one may be better value, because with cordless you also have to pay for a charger and batteries.

Please show us the screws you have.

I think your absolutely right so instead of messing around anymore I’ve found this cheap drill on Amazon which am gonna buy tomorrow:

Hoping this will do the trick? It does come with some drill bits but I’m not sure if it will have the right size drill bits so I think I’m just gonna get some. Do you need to buy specific drill bits for wood? Here are the screws that I’ve currently got. I’ll need to get the dowels and wood glue too. Any idea what size dowels I should get?

Attached is a picture of the three different types of screws I’ve got.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1591.jpeg
    IMG_1591.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 59
The four plated Euroscrews will be strongest, driven into pilot holes.

As they have no points, their pilot hole is the diameter of the shaft, excluding the thread, and has to be the full depth of the screw.

They are not used with dowels.

Sponsored Links
The four plated Euroscrews will be strongest, driven into pilot holes.

As they have no points, their pilot hole is the diameter of the shaft, excluding the thread, and has to be the full depth of the screw.

They are not used with dowels.

If the screws are not used with dowels what am I suppose to use to fill the holes first before drilling a pilot hole?

Before you start glueing in dowels, what is on the other side of the damaged cabinet hinge side? Can you access it? Could you use longer screws to screw into that or better still, drill all the way through and bolt the hinges in place?

The euroscrews john refers to are designed to give a good hold in the low grade particle board kitchen cabinet carcasses are usually made in. If you glue in dowels, which are solid wood, normal screws will suffice.

I would be very inclined to move the hinge positions by a couple of inches so you can drill new holes into new undamaged board.

Use the hinge repair plates which will spread the load better than the original hinges, and will be less likely to fall off.

Before you start glueing in dowels, what is on the other side of the damaged cabinet hinge side? Can you access it? Could you use longer screws to screw into that or better still, drill all the way through and bolt the hinges in place?

The euroscrews john refers to are designed to give a good hold in the low grade particle board kitchen cabinet carcasses are usually made in. If you glue in dowels, which are solid wood, normal screws will suffice.
I did ask that on post #7 :LOL:

So what's your alternative advice then?

My advice was in the post directly before the one that you replied to. Namely post #9

I can understand your not wanting to purchase a drill for such a small job but sometimes you need purchase the right tools for a job.
I would be very inclined to move the hinge positions by a couple of inches so you can drill new holes into new undamaged board.

Use the hinge repair plates which will spread the load better than the original hinges, and will be less likely to fall off.

Surely if the OP does that (moves the hinge positions), they will need to drill new 35mm holes to accept the hinge cup hole in the door?

If you can afford to smoke, you can afford a drill :D
He doesn't smoke. You should be careful of what decorators suggest. They would only make the job look good to collect pay. If it fails after 2 weeks or a month, it's no longer their problem. In fact, it's more business. A DIYer should use a solution that is more robust. When dealing with your own property, you should be less cavalier.

Last edited:

Nothing is on the other side and i can get access to it easily. Am buying a drill anyway am not messing around with fillers etc as others have suggested. I've already messed it up by screwing all the way through to the other side by using longer screws. Am gonna drill all the way through glue in two dowels and use a flush cut saw to cut any excess and then use to small wood screws to fasten the hinge. Hopefully that works and thanks to everyone who has helped really appreciate it.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you've already "broken the seal", as it were, then I would bolt through to the other side. Can guarantee it will never tear out then, unless subjected to unreasonable forces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back