How to fix a broken kitchen cabinet hinge

Thanks for all the help guys i managed to repair the hinge. I drilled the two holes out using a 10mm drill bit and then glued in two dowels, cut the excess off with a flush cut saw and then screwed the hinge back on using two 4.5mm screws. Very happy with the fix hopefully it doesn't come loose but it's been great so far.

Thanks again :giggle:

Sponsored Links
Just a quick update it seems every couple of months the two 4.5mm screws come out ever so slightly from the two dowels that i glued in, i suspect that's due to constantly opening and closing the cabinet door. I was just wondering if there is an alternative type of screw that i can use for chipboard that has a thread on it that doesn't come out easily once it's screwed in please?

How long were your screws? And did you drill a small pilot hole before driving the screws in?

Use a spring washer on the screw, or put some glue on it or in the dowel before you screw it in.

Sponsored Links
How long were your screws? And did you drill a small pilot hole before driving the screws in?

yes i did drill a pilot hole before driving the screws in. These are the exact screws i brought below:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Most likely dowel wood too soft and widening the threads. Drill dowel and insert wall plug.

Most likely dowel wood too soft and widening the threads. Drill dowel and insert wall plug.

Thanks am going to drill out the dowels tommorrow and insert two wall plugs hopefully that holds it better.

yes i did drill a pilot hole before driving the screws in. These are the exact screws i brought below:

I can't see that you did anything wrong.

Is the door subject to a lot of use?

I would not recommend using nylon wall plugs.

I would recommend inserting some matchsticks in the screw holes (using superglue to lock them in), and this time only use a a 1.5mm pilot to help guide the screw.

I have seen other people recommend squirting superglue in to the hole and pushing in a cigarette paper. I have never tried that though.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I can't see that you did anything wrong.

Is the door subject to a lot of use?

I would not recommend using nylon wall plugs.

I would recommend inserting some matchsticks in the screw holes (using superglue to lock them in), and this time only use a a 1.5mm pilot to help guide the screw.

I have seen other people recommend squirting superglue in to the hole and pushing in a cigarette paper. I have never tried that though.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

What is the reason you don't recommend using wall plugs?

What is the reason you won't use the repair plates?

I suppose I could but would using a repair plate stop the screws from becoming loose over time? I don't trying bigger screws and wall plugs, i just measured the thickness of the cabinet and it's measuring at 18.13mm if there are any bigger screws and plugs i can try?

Repair plate gives more fixings spreading the load, you could have grown a tree by now and use the wood to make a new door!

Repair plate gives more fixings spreading the load, you could have grown a tree by now and use the wood to make a new door!

Am gonna give that ago, seems like the easiest option and as you say if it spreads the loads it should hold up better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back