how to fix timber studwork to block base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I would make my subject a bit clearer!

I am building a garden room and plan to use a concrete block base with a wooden structure over - a sort of seaside chalet if you like!

How do I best attach the timbers to the blockwork base? Do I just use wall straps?

I plan to build a studwork frame and then line each side with ply and then weatherboard the outside. What type of ply is best - does it have to be the marine sort or will flooring grade do? Would t and g be ok or would it move? I will insulate also but where in the sandwich making up the wall does a moisture barrier go?

Also when I do the floor do I need two damp proof layers - I saw our builder when he did our new garage put plastic down then hardcore then concrete.

Would I be able to use roofing slates to finish it off or would there be a weight issue over time - am I better off with felt.

I am sure there will be more questions but thats it for now. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i'm not sure whether you are building a glorified shed or a mini-extension.

if you are using dense concrete blocks for the base then i guess you could screw-fix a 75 x 50mm tanalised wall plate to the blocks, from which to start the walls.

use a polythene vapour barrier on the inside of the stud and a sarking or breathable felt on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back