How to get a reliable architect and builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I need general advice on procedures for house improvement.

My daughter wants to convert loft, extend kitchen and completely refurbish her house which is in a very sorry state. For this purpose, we have to find an architect(? ) to design and supervise (?). How does one choose reliable architect and builder? Would the architect advise us on this? How much do architect charge for design and supervision? We have been told that all the work should cost us in the region of £70,000. Is this a good estimate?

The semi attached to her house was converted some 7yrs ago. It looked so good at first but now looks very shabby. They replaced an existing fence which was very sturdy and now a puff of wind and it's in my daughters garden! !!
So how do we avoid such bad work?

Sponsored Links
This has been asked before on the forum, in a roundabout way, have a look at these, for some light reading and to get you going:

//www.diynot.com/forums/building/finding-a-builder-recommendations.323944/#2406515
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1599295#1599295
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1635935#1635935
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=636320#636320

There are plenty more threads on here if you use the search facility.

Can't comment on the cost of the works, far too little info for that. Anyway the gist of those threads is that an architect is overkill for this kind of work and a technician would be fine, unless your daughter has something a bit bonkers in mind, for the design. Get some good Building Regulations drawings done and choose the builder well and site supervision is unnecessary.

But based on your scant information and guesstimate professional fees should be around £3-5K including Local Authority fees. PW fees on top if required. Maybe. As mentioned very scant info provided.

Come back with any more Q's.

How's that scaffolding doing? Or still a sore subject?

Thank you freddymercurystwin.i wondered why no one had responded to this post. Will look at the links you have suggested.
Alas no luck with the ongoing problems with scaffolders. Still causing headache. He doesn't care. Only plus side is that I can now park my car.
Age UK will call him again today add is bn one week but I do not believe anything will happen.

My recent problems with the builder was the main reason for posting this particular post to avoid such things happening to my daughter. It would seem that summer is a very busy time for builders so I'm wondering whether winter is a better time for doing house conversion. But then one has to worry about the cold house with young children.
The loft and kitchen conversion is pretty basic and using basic fitting/fixtures. Nothing expensive. Master bedroom with en suite in the loft.combine 7 by8ft kitchen with dining room/lounge to create open plan lounge diner kitchen. Add a play area/conservatory. At least that is what they have in mind at present.

Sponsored Links
Back