How to get into BIOS Compaq Presario

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Compaq Presario CQ5222UK desktop running Windows 7. recently the CMOS battery needed replacing which I have done, but I now have an issue with sleep mode. The computer goes to sleep fine, but will not wake up. I believe that the failure of battery power may have resulted in changes to the BIOS relating to the power settings. However, I am unable to get into the BIOS settings to check. On boot up, the F1 and F10 keys both take me into the 'Safe Mode' menu settings. Anyone know how I can access the BIOS?

Sponsored Links
F10 should be the correct key, you may not be pressing it soon enough.

Start continuously tapping the key before you power the machine on. Keep pressing it until you see a message saying it's entering the BIOS, or the BIOS itself.

You may also need to try a different keyboard, as some won't become active early enough in the boot process.

Sad that the battery needed replacing so soon. A properly designed board with a decent battery should go for 10-15 years without needing a change.

Thank you Monkeh, you are correct. I tried it again and this time it worked and I'm in.

I had expected to find the "Power Management Setup" in the BIOS, under 'Advanced' so that I could check my PC's sleep settings, but whilst the tab is there, the power settings are not.

There is a separate 'Power' tab, but it relates to whether the PC powers up after a power failure, no mention of 'sleep' anywhere.

The problem I have, is that when I try to wake up my PC from sleep, the machine fans and hard drive burst into life, but the screen stays blank, and the power indicator light stays amber, rather than its usual blue. All I can do then is power down and reboot.

Any ideas?

have you tried going through the DOS and resetting the powercfg through there?

Run cmd.exe as administrator and input

[code:1]powercfg -restoredefaultschemes[/code:1]

Let me know if you have any changes on this? A LOT of laptops suffer from this as there is actually two types of sleep mode; normal sleep mode and hybrid sleep mode and the fault lies when it can not distinguish between the two.

Sponsored Links
Ha forgive me on that one. I was tired off a night shift. I meant the command prompt.

Thanks for the help, I've been away for a few days, so not bee able to try your suggestion.

Run cmd.exe as administrator and input
[code:1]powercfg -restoredefaultschemes[/code:1]Let me know if you have any changes on this?

I ran cmd.exe (not sure what you mean by 'as administrator' though. There's only me that uses the machine, no other user) All of the windows power settings reverted to the original settings (I had disabled sleep timer and the operation of the sleep button)

So now the sleep button functions again and puts it to sleep as before, but still won't wake up. The fans start up but that's it

A LOT of laptops suffer from this
It's not a laptop
I have a Compaq Presario CQ5222UK desktop running Windows 7
Don't know if that matters though.

Back