HOW TO GET RID OF WOOD PIGEONS(without shooting them )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you get rid of wood pigeons from your garden ?, without shooting them.

Sponsored Links
We do on occasion get a sparrow hawk in the garden this clears all the birds in a flash,unfortunately it scares/eats the other birds that cause you no problems too,and he never seems keen to hang around :p

We have four cats and two dogs. We also have 5 wood pigeons that are here each day. They tease our pets by staying just out of reach. You will have trouble getting rid of them. :cry:

Sponsored Links
plastic owel or bird of prey on the fence, and move him every few days to keep em guessing..

polly - why? Woodies are pleasant to watch chasing each other around the ground - why worry about the birdsh*t ... hose it off.

Have you got hanging birdfeeders/bird table, if so stop re-filling them. Woodies may be being attracted by loose fallen seed scattered by smaller birds who can hang onto these feeders (they're messy eaters). No ground food means infrequent visits. Shame to do this because your garden will become a bird free zone. They may also be nesting nearby - got any bigish trees?

A dog is no good ... mine has been trying to catch Woodies for years with no luck. Plakka hawks & cats stop being effective after a few days so are IMO a waste of dosh.

Shooting is the only effective way of getting rid of those currently in your garden; the problem is others will appear 'cos of food and you are likely to get your front door kicked-in by armed cops because a neighbour has complained about somebody with a gun.

It's a bit of a quandry really , I like birds in the garden and the blackbirds have raised two broods this year from a nest built in some timbers leaning against my workshop wall but I do wish the little darlings would leave me some cherries on the trees. They also try their hardest to get at the strawberries too and the pigeons use the arbour close to the back window to do their ah hem "courting" every year- so off putting when you having dinner :LOL:

I feed the birds in the garden, but find that enough food for a garden full of small birds can be devoured in one sitting by 2 or 3 woodpigeons, collared doves or squirrels.

If i'm in i use a laser light pointer... although it didn't take long for them to realise all they needed to do was turn their back on me.... but it does spook some of them.

I think the only thing to do is put up small hanging feeders.

I to am fed up with the mess they make &, this time of year, the bloody noise they make sahgging on my fence with all the “flapping wings & cooing” at 4 o’clock every morning; but I now realise it is totally the wife’s fault. :rolleyes:
If i'm in i use a laser light pointer... although it didn't take long for them to realise all they needed to do was turn their back on me.... but it does spook some of them.

We moved here to rural Norfolk from “townie land” in 2004 & being totally ignorant, several years of loose seed feed on two bird tables has resulted in a very healthy local population who roost & breed in the many trees we have, sadly to the detriment of other birds. Sadly I’m almost at the point of putting a laser onto a 0.22 air rifle but, I guess, that’s probably illegal!

I think the only thing to do is put up small hanging feeders.
We’ve done that but it doesn’t get rid of them; we don’t get through anywhere near as much seed as we used to but our “garden” population of opportunists is now so huge, they just hang around on the ground below the feeders picking up whatever drops to the floor when other birds feed; they really are very adaptive, still sihtting & sahgging over everything in sight. :rolleyes:

Move back to town and enjoy the scrabs $hagging and $hitting in your yard in the early hours instead ;)

Move back to town and enjoy the scrabs $hagging and $hitting in your yard in the early hours instead ;)
Think I prefer the pigeons; at lest they don't swear & chuck bricks through your windows when you try to frighten them off :LOL:

would printing off lifesize pictures of other woodpigeons and laminating them and putting them up round your garden help?

or getting into pigeon racing and build a loft thing in your garden help?

i've had another thought.... my problem is with the food i put on my birdtable... and this is you typical post, tray and apex roof birdtable.
What if i put a wireless doorbell under the apex, and had the ringer in my house? and give the Woodies a shock when they turn up...

Can you get battery powered wireless doorbells?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back